Is there consequences for Sin?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by manuel, Jun 15, 2008.

1. manuel

manuel Registered Member

Is there consequences for Sin?
    How many can you cite?
    Pick one and propose a solution

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Hell is a consequence isn't it?

I don't think there is a solution to sin because they're all natural urges. It's like telling a turtle he's going to hell if he hides in his shell in times of danger.

3. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

Consequence for sin as far as from a religious stand point goes, revolves around which religion you prescribe to.

Real life consequences depend on what your doing, if your going out having all sorts of unprotected sex you could wind up with a case of the HIV, thats a consequence.

You get stab some dude in a bar fight, your probably going to jail.

Behavior has consequences, religion or not.

4. manuel

manuel Registered Member

No necessarily, what I ask is not exclusively related to religion (I take that you know it) You are not a religious person, so you can’t argue in those terms, but if you look at sin as something harmful you could contribute.

I don’t know why is it that no-religious people insist in comparing themselves with irrational brutes, humans are rational creatures and that is why they dominated all others, human are not the strongest of fastest of creatures, yet they subdued stronger and faster creature. Why is it so?

There you go, turtles are irrational their solution was simpler, human developed more complex one, humans as rational being that they are built civilizations and they formed organised groups and using this they subdue all others including other human, they formulated moral rules, that is the direction that I hoped this threat could take, anyway thank for your response

5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

The only thing that separates humans from beasts is that we have more powerful weapons and knowledge. They have intuition.

And I'd like to know what your idea of sin is if it isn't a religious thing.

6. manuel

manuel Registered Member

Duke,
    That is absolutely wrong, sin is transgression of a moral rule, non-religions groups have moral rules as well, they also have punishment (consequences) for those that break them

See how it is like I said, now sleeping around is call adultery in Christianity and it's counselled against cause there are consequences, fornication is another, coveting, lust etc,

You on a roll her, see how we can discuses this things, murder is a sin a harmful thing that has consequence

You went off the rail here, religion sets out rules for good behaviour of it members and warns us of the consequences, perhaps you could also tell us what solution would you propose to control bad behaviour and encourage good behaviour. For my part I say that controlling Lust will go a long way in solving most of our problems. What you think?

7. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

That's what it basically comes down to. Controlling and restraining your lust in all matters is what keeps one away from sinning.

8. manuel

manuel Registered Member

Humans invented all these tools by using the power of reason and there are many things that separate us from irrational brute, humans can propose several proposition and choose the best try it and perfect it, what I am driving at is that most of the responses here are from non-religious members of this board (only God know why they post in the Religion section of the forum) I like to have intelligent discussions so if you focus on sin as something bad/harmful there are common ground for the discussion, are all the member of this board Godless? I was invited from another board and I went to the religious section because that is what interest me, I find it hard to find a religious topic to debate so I started this thread (my second) I am in the wrong section or are you? So for the sake of a conversation I say that sin is a harmful thing. A bad thing a transgression of morality.
    ------
    Right on, and that is what separates us from irrational brutes and makes responsible to our creator and giver of all our gift, not to use our gifts for good is a sin.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  9. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Being able to restrain yourself is the hardest thing to, and we as people slip up all the time on little things as well. If one is on a diet and breaks after a week, imagine what it is like to restrain yourself from other things..

10. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Sin as far as my religion goes has consequences in a spiritual sense. However, if we remove religion, than alot of those things aren't actually "sins" as far as society goes. According to the law, it's not a sin to sleep with your wife before marriage. Or sleep with just anyone out of marriage for that matter. However, "sin" or not, it has consequences. Whether it be an STI, emotional shit, or a very lacking marriage, theres always a consequence to things that are "sins". I think of sins as being anything that goes against good morals, whether you believe it bad or not, it doesn't change whether it's bad or not. Drinking excessively is bad for you. Most people will say it's not bad, just bad for you, however drunkeness is technically a sin. There are consequences for that as well, something as simple as a hangover, to waking up pregnant, or having made someone pregnant.

Anyhow enough rambling.

Doc likes this.