• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

IS the TeaParty dead?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Greetings all,

Have been helping my wife launch a business and have no time to be online. An aside now is an incredible time to on a business. 10 years ago you would have paid 1000s of $$ for the advertising and competitive research that you now get for free. I will share more on that at some other time.

I think sadly that the TeaParty died last night. North and South Carolina are early bellwethers of the movement. NC had a fantastic TeaParty candidate running for Senate and in SC we have a Senator that most strongly conservatives do not like; Lindsey Graham. I didn't expect that either race would necessarily go to the TeaParty, but at least one of them needed to go into a run-off. The NC race was last night and Greg Brannon, the TeaParty guy didn't score close. In SC, a new poll came out that says Lindsey Graham has a big lead and there won't be a run-off.

Like most I had hoped for a challenge to the 2 party system and the TeaParty was a great place to start. The party stands in opposition to a lot of things that the other 2 parties support: Common Core federal education, deficient spending, amnesty for illegals, global warming legislation, perpetual wars... But sadly its my belief that if you can't do it in SC and NC its not going to happen. I believe if you wanted Rand Paul or Ted Cruz to win in 2016, your choice is going to be more like Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush or Christie.

So there. That's my disappointing news for today. Anyone disagree?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I would agree.

To be honest with you, to me, it feels like the right wing basically absorbed them. Instead of allowing them to remain independent, you had conservatives like Palin and Beck and others trying to piggy back off of it and then most people figure "Oh, so they're just another conservative group?"

I think if they had more organization and actually resisted allowing the more popular republican faces to hijack their causes they'd have a louder voice today.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I would agree.

To be honest with you, to me, it feels like the right wing basically absorbed them. Instead of allowing them to remain independent, you had conservatives like Palin and Beck and others trying to piggy back off of it and then most people figure "Oh, so they're just another conservative group?"

I think if they had more organization and actually resisted allowing the more popular republican faces to hijack their causes they'd have a louder voice today.
I think Beck was well intentioned, but I agree that becoming "Glenn Beck's candidate" or "Glen Beck's party" is going to hurt a lot more that it helps. Beyond that, I am at a loss for the failure. Two months ago, I would have bet $1000 that at least one of the Carolina races would go to run-off. Everybody hates Lindsey Graham. Its beyond y understanding.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think Beck was well intentioned, but I agree that becoming "Glenn Beck's candidate" or "Glen Beck's party" is going to hurt a lot more that it helps. Beyond that, I am at a loss for the failure. Two months ago, I would have bet $1000 that at least one of the Carolina races would go to run-off. Everybody hates Lindsey Graham. Its beyond y understanding.
And just to clarify, I'm not blaming Beck of Palin specifically, they're just the two I can think of off the top of my head who did the most cheerleading for the Tea Party.

Well, aside from conspiracy theorists, I would assume it points to more people either preferring Graham or disliking the Tea Party. Like I mentioned, if they had some more organization and thus were able to keep themselves at a distance from some of the fringe lunatics such as the racists and violent members, I don't think their image would have suffered as much.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
New poll: Four Years in, GOP Support for Tea Party Down to 41%

This is (some) of what I think:
1) People like Santa Clause.
No matter what people say 'free condoms', 'free health care', 'free phones', 'free food', 'free rent' and a million other free things is popular. Few really want to bring Calvin Coolidge back from the dead and cut 25% off the government.
2) The media play is working.
Blame the TeaParty for everything from the Colorado movie shooting to the government shutdown and people start to believe it. Repeat the phrase 'They are racist' enough times and people willbuy into that also.
3) The Republican party is done with them.
And now they are using the money they raised off of them to destroy the party. On notice: Mitch McConnell is ready to “crush” the Tea Party Hot Air
4) The Obama administration plan is working.
The IRS scandal and using the office of the President to blame then for every political woe.
5) People don't want a 3rd party.
As much as liberals hate the Democrat party, they have been convinced that the Republicans are worse and must be destroyed. And vice-versa.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
2) The media play is working.
Blame the TeaParty for everything from the Colorado movie shooting to the government shutdown and people start to believe it. Repeat the phrase 'They are racist' enough times and people willbuy into that also.
4) The Obama administration plan is working.
The IRS scandal and using the office of the President to blame then for every political woe.
I think you hit the nail on the head especially with these two. I have my problems with the Tea Party and I would never be a member (to be fair I would never be a member of ANY political party) but the media blaming them for everything and an intellectually lazy electorate is the main reason for the downfall of the Tea Party. Hell, there was a just a professor who threatened to send any Tea Partiers who support Ted Cruz home in a bodybag and it barely gets reported.

The Shocking Warning Professor Allegedly Gave to Students Who Happen to Be ?Ted Cruz-Supporting Teabaggers’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

Yes I understand it's The Blaze, but I would still like to see the media investigate whether this is true or not. Their reluctance to report on it tells me just about everything I need to know.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I think you hit the nail on the head especially with these two. I have my problems with the Tea Party and I would never be a member (to be fair I would never be a member of ANY political party) but the media blaming them for everything and an intellectually lazy electorate is the main reason for the downfall of the Tea Party. Hell, there was a just a professor who threatened to send any Tea Partiers who support Ted Cruz home in a bodybag and it barely gets reported.

The Shocking Warning Professor Allegedly Gave to Students Who Happen to Be ?Ted Cruz-Supporting Teabaggers’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

Yes I understand it's The Blaze, but I would still like to see the media investigate whether this is true or not. Their reluctance to report on it tells me just about everything I need to know.
I think you're right about the media's role in this. Major news personalities and the President called the teaParty members "tea-baggers". Its shocking that that didn't even get a yawn from the media. I'm not up on all of the gay sex terminology(seriously, not trying to be funny), but wouldn't it be note-worthy if any President had written a letter saying his opponents were fudge-packers, or insert your disgusting gay slur here? I'm being serious here. I'll bet less than 3 people on GF know there is a letter from Obama saying that but Everybody knows what some B-rate reality star said about gays or what some NBA owner said about African-Americans.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That is a GREAT example. Not only did I find it disgusting Obama made that sexual slur I found it extremely unpresudential. He's an embarrassment not only to the office, but as an American. The bigger point is if say Ted Cruz made a sexual slur like that the media would be all over it. It's disgusting just how bad our media is at doing their job.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I don't think the Tea Party is dead at all. I think if the republicans nominate another squishy wanna be liberal, you will see a push for a third party.

It also depends on what you are defining as Tea Party. When it comes down to it, I think the tea party is pretty much the hardcore conservative base of the Republican Party. I don't think the battle is over at all, maybe those two races but it still rages all over the country in republican primaries. If I had to point to one person who is the leader of the Tea party, I couldn't do it. No one could. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul? Rubio? Palin? Beck? Levin? Limbaugh?. They seem to be only gaining more national attention and support so I would call not the Tea Party dead.

Merc I don't get your point about the tea party being absorbed by the right wing, as it came from the right wing and was always part of it? Do you mean re-absorbed?

Google how much support the convention process pushed by Levin has gotten state to state. I would say it is alive and thrashing.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I don't think the Tea Party is dead at all. I think if the republicans nominate another squishy wanna be liberal, you will see a push for a third party.

It also depends on what you are defining as Tea Party. When it comes down to it, I think the tea party is pretty much the hardcore conservative base of the Republican Party. I don't think the battle is over at all, maybe those two races but it still rages all over the country in republican primaries. If I had to point to one person who is the leader of the Tea party, I couldn't do it. No one could. Ted Cruz, Rand Paul? Rubio? Palin? Beck? Levin? Limbaugh?. They seem to be only gaining more national attention and support so I would call not the Tea Party dead.

Merc I don't get your point about the tea party being absorbed by the right wing, as it came from the right wing and was always part of it? Do you mean re-absorbed?

Google how much support the convention process pushed by Levin has gotten state to state. I would say it is alive and thrashing.

Van, you know who Dr. Greg Brannon is I'm sure. How did that guy only get 27% of the vote in NC with Rand Paul and Mike Lee behind him?