Is the platform gaming genre dead?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Mirage, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I haven't seen a platform game that has interested me in years. It's a shame because this genre used to be my favorite.

Nowadays everything seems to either be a shooter, a racer, or some interactive chicken dance.

Where are the true platform games lately?

2. Ryuk

Ryuk Registered Member

Yes, it's been replaced by the 3d action game (God Of War, Star Wars The Force Unleashed per example).

3. Tainted_Glory

Tainted_Glory Not a Scientologist

Mario. Mario is a platformer, and I like. Came out a year ago, so here's your true platformer.

4. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

No, There are some perfectly good platformers coming out nowadays. It may not be as prevalent as before, but it's not dead.

5. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

There are still good platformers out there. They are just incorporating more gameplay aspects into them to create a broader appeal and have, for the most part, been absorbed into the 'adventure' genre in my opinion.

Mario Galaxy is a great platformer, and there are games like Ratchet and Clank, Banjo Kazooie, and Psychonauts among others that are still platformers at heart, just with more depth.

6. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

That's an awesome game. I played it for days straight when I got it.. Now I have to sell my Wii so I can get a PS3 :(

7. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

There's also Super Paper Mario which is something of a platformer/rpg and Megaman 9.

8. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Hybrix, I still think you should play Metroid Prime. It's a platformer, adventure, and shooter rolled into one game.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Playstation 3 has one of the absolutely most fun platformer I've played since the Super Mario series... Three words: Little Big Planet

YouTube - Little Big Planet Create E3 Trailer

its simple, fun, addicting... and best of all the DL content has been great! At least once every 2 weeks or so there is a new costume available in the playstation store for either free or to buy depending on its originality (costume mimicks like the just released street fighter costumes cost.. where as "Sackboy in a box" costume was free)

10. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

x2 on little big planet. I played it at my friends house and it was awesome.