• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wii Is the Nintendo Wii only for 12 year olds?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
In response to the Wii remark in: http://www.generalforum.com/playstation-3/playstation3-too-expensive-6637-page3.html#post104844

Somebody said the Wii was only for 12 year olds so I decided to start a new thread to see what you guys thought. Here are my thoughts.

The Wii is actually the most age diverse console ever to hit the market. It's getting people of all ages into gaming in ways no other console has EVER. Not that I even have one, I'm just pointing out that it's definitely not just for 12 year olds. If the editors at IGN can give Mario Galaxy almost a 10 out of 10, (and they are what, 30+ years old and some of the hardest gamers to please in the reviewing industry) I think it's safe to say that the Wii has a significant pull on a large range of demographics.

neum985

I pwn noobs
I think the Wii is for the 12 year olds because thats what the majority of the games are targeted at it seems. I am not a fan of the controls except for bowling. That was the only game that i found was really worth my time to play, that being that im in to RPG's and not so much into arcade kindof games. Maybe thats why i said the Wii is for a younger audence it just doesn't seem to me that many serious gamers over a younger age would be hooked on the system. I just think that the 360 and PS3 are superior to the Wii in both graphics and gameplay.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with you about the 360 and PS3 having much better graphics, but I think the Wii appeals to people who want to experience something different. I don't have any of the current generation consoles (I'm a PC gamer mostly), but out of all three I like the idea of the Wii the best simply because it's something different. If I want to play a nice FPS I will stick to my PC, not go out and buy a PS3 or 360 and play the exact same type of shooters that I already have for PC. The exception are the exclusive titles, but, even those would have to be awesome for me to buy a $300-$500+ system just to play one game or two. :)

neum985

I pwn noobs
yeah i agree with you there i wouldnt spend all that for just a couple games either but all my friends got the PS3 so that pretty much made my decison for me so i can either borrow games from them or can play with them online

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
but all my friends got the PS3 so that pretty much made my decison for me
Are you implying that you might have wanted to get another system, but you got the overpriced PS3 with a mediocre game library because your friends have it?

neum985

I pwn noobs
Are you implying that you might have wanted to get another system, but you got the overpriced PS3 with a mediocre game library because your friends have it?

yeah i was gonna get the 360 but i got the PS3 instead. I know the library is small but i go a 60gig one before they were discontinued so i can play all my Ps2 games on it as well

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
The Wii is being used for medical therapy among senior citizens at the recommendation of doctors. It's definitely not just for 12 year olds.

Nintendo has a history of making games that aren't super-serious material. That's not because they are always aiming their games at children, but because Nintendo often targets the average person instead of the serious hardcore gamer. Average Joe doesn't care about top of the line graphics. He just wants a new, fun experience. Nintendo knows that, so they try to provide that.

In a three console market, catering only to serious gamers is a recipe for failure. To succeed against the stronger hardware that will draw the graphic minded gamers, Nintendo has to bring in people that wouldn't play shooters like Halo or horrors like Resident Evil. The Wii is built to do just that.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I understand wanting to appeal to the "average person" or casual gamer, but I don't get why they have to almost completely ignore the serious gamers. I've been a loyal Nintendo supporter for about 20 years, but there are just so few games now that I'm interested in. Seems like they try to oversimplify everything.

JjCrazyboy

Registered Member
The nintendo wii is a game system for the non- gamer. I enjoy it and I consider myself a gamer -- I do not have nearly as much time as I use to but I still enjoy playing now and again.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
My first "next gen" console that I bought was a Wii. It was good for awhile, but after I beat Zelda, there was nothing else to play. Grant it that it does have really fun games on it that you can just pick up and play, but there is really nothing on this system that is really in depth like the games on 360 or ps3. I don't regret getting this system, but the learning curve on this system is not deep at all, and it will only take a few moments to pick up and learn. I do recommend this system for everybody. But if you are a hardcore gamer then this system is not for you.