is the NHL Sexist?

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by icegoat63, Oct 30, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Do you believe that the NHL is sexist for holding out on the Female sizes of Jerseys?

Considering the fact that Authentic Jerseys in the first place are not designed in standard Sizes (they usually start XXL and range all the way up to 5x for Goalies). Now I know my shirt size is Medium, sometimes Large depending on the brand or type of shirt. Which means there's no way in hell an XXL shirt is "cut for me".

What is your opinion on Female cut or even "Pink" Jerseys for the Ladies?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well first off, I think this is pretty rediculous. I don't believe the NHL is sexist at all, what does it matter if they don't make jersey's for females? I wear a small, it's really rare and I mean really rare that you'll find a small NHL jersey out there. Do I fucking write a letter complaining to teams that there's not enough smalls out there? No I buy the size they have, doesn't matter what size(obviously I won't buy XXL) and I wear it proudly when I watch the game. I don't care what size it is, I care that I'm representing my team.

I forgot to talk about the Pink jersey's. I don't know why she's complaing those pink jersey's are extremely popular. When I watch the Habs games there's so many females with those type of jersey's.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I would NEVER wear a pink jersey. It's a complete oxymoron, a pink hockey jersey. I could stand to have them cut smaller, I'm pretty small and it's hard to get one that fits right, but I don't think it's sexist in any way. A true hockey fan would get the eff over it

4. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Don't even start about pink, it's like wearing a pink Red Sox hat. You'll be hated. And this is pretty stupid to me, they make the shirts in the sizes that the people wear them, why change that? It's not like girls are going to be wearing these shirts seriously.

Also, Goat; You wear medium shirts? I think I'm smaller than you and I wear large/XL shirts..

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Lots of girls wear NHL jerseys. I have two

6. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

You misunderstood me, I don't think girls are going to wearing these shirts like normal shirts. It'd just look weird for a hockey jersey to be small.

7. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Pink jerseys, no matter what sport, are retarded. Everytime I see a girl wearing one of these in the mall (or whever), I secretly wish they'd get hit by a bus. Is it really that hard to wear a normal colored jersey? Come on girls, aren't the Bengals or Chargers (powder blue) jerseys pretty enough? Haha.

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm 5'-11" 205lb, fairly stout... I dont think I'm big by any means but I dont feel I fall into the category of slim :hah: its the Golf shirts that fit really loose on me for some reason and I have a decent set of Golf Shirts all of which are in Medium. However the majority of my T-shirts are all Large, I cant stand having shirts to big so my collection of XL shirts is very slim.

I also laugh at the Pink Jerseys... I've always felt it was stupid, a bad replica. It'd be one thing if it were a promotional Jersey type thing for a Breastcancer thing. I know some ECHL clubs used to do that, they'd wear the Pink Jerseys on Pink ice and then Auction the Game Worn ones off after the game. If its that kind of Pink Jersey then I'm 100% down... but then again thats not the kind this lady is referring to.

The way I see it, if you're getting a jersey you get it to be a replica of what the players wear. I dont have a single Jersey in my collection smaller than XXL... why? Because to me thats what the Sweaters are all about, Big clunky, and different than other clothes. They are hockey jerseys for cryin out loud, not a fashion statement.

Heres the thing to..... I could poll the male audience here and almost guarantee the results. If its "attraction" the girls are looking for... theres not much anything hotter than a baggy jersey. I mean hell the University of Kentucky's Hockey department realizes that:

[​IMG]

9. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I bought my friend the smallest size Crosby jersey I could find, and it was snug on me.. which means.. it was like a nightgown on her. They do need to make smaller ones IMO.

..but this is in no way sexism from the NHL

10. Puckhead58

Puckhead58 Registered Member

Not all women need small cut jerseys, some can fit into the mens sizes.....so its sexist for her to whine because SHE needs a smaller jersey. Not all women need petit sizes!!

I think if there were enough females interested in jerseys in their size and enough orders were placed, the companies that make them may offer different sizes, but I don't exactly think there are millions of females wanting smaller, ladies sized, NHL jerseys.....I might be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it. Why make 10,000 jerseys in smaller ladies sizes and only have 100 of them sell??? Then we have shelves stocked with these smaller jerseys because only a handful of women are interested in them.

The whole pink jersey thing is ridiculous if you ask me. Its a nice gesture towards the Cancer Society and all that, but I would prefer the original colored jerseys with a pink ribbon on it instead. Still showing support, but its not ruining the teams official jerseys.