Is the Earth "Alive"?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Do you believe the Earth is "alive"? What does that mean to you? Do you believe the Earth is actually a living being? Or do you believe so metaphorically (such as "Mother Earth")?

Personally, I don't see any of these theories being more than poetic. It's a neat thought but I can't see it holding any weight. Seeing as we really don't have a clear idea as to where and how life started, I think it's fairly silly to believe the Earth is a "mother" of any sorts or that it is even the slightest bit sentient.

That's just me though, I'm interested in hearing what people think.

It's just Anthropomorphism.

That doesn't mean it's not rooted in fact. Like temperamental technology, or muses. They don't have emotions, but they're unpredictable, and seem to react to things. It's not technically true, but it's not silly.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why is it not silly to believe that the Earth is a living creature?

Also, muses are silly. Quite silly in fact. I know someone who knitted a sweater for their muse. Needless to say, they were not the most socially adapted of people.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I do not believe the Earth is a "living creature". I agree, it sounds nice and poetic but the idea is rather silly. I do believe nature has a way of correcting itself, and it's egotistical to think we can destroy the planet. But it's not alive, it's a rock.

Why is it not silly to believe that the Earth is a living creature?

Also, muses are silly. Quite silly in fact. I know someone who knitted a sweater for their muse. Needless to say, they were not the most socially adapted of people.
But muses specifically are the ones that are closest to actual people. They're the artist's drive and creativity, the knack for new ideas.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I do believe nature has a way of correcting itself, and it's egotistical to think we can destroy the planet.
I don't think we can destroy it to the point where it can't reclaim itself, but we can certainly destroy it enough so that it will no longer support human life.

I agree though, Earth is just a rock. It's not a living being. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't preserve and protect it.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't think we can destroy it to the point where it can't reclaim itself, but we can certainly destroy it enough so that it will no longer support human life.

I agree though, Earth is just a rock. It's not a living being. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't preserve and protect it.
I agree completely, we are capable of destroying it so that it will no longer support human life, and we should preserve and protect so that it doesn't happen.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Would I say I consider the Earth to be consciously sentient? No. Would I say it's silly to think of it as 'alive'? Certainly not.

Think about it. Is a tree alive? Yes, of course. A tree feeds off nutrients in the soil. Doesn't that mean the soil has some kind of life force? After all, every living thing takes energy from another life force to survive, in one way or another. The only original source is the Sun.

The Earth is a growing, moving thing. Does something need to be self aware to be alive? Are trees self aware? Are mountains? Both grow, yet only one is considered to be alive. Neither are self aware.

I believe the Earth could be considered alive in that it is the source of all life on the planet, after the Sun. In some fashion it is simple anthropomorphism (think Gaia, Mother Nature, etc), but in another it makes sense. We should treat this planet like a living thing. We are poisoning it, destroying it, killing it. Just because it is not 'alive' with regards to being sentient doesn't mean it won't die.

Also, on the subject of muses; a muse does not require physical form or shape. It doesn't have to be a person or a figure. :dunno: A muse can be a thought or a sound or a feeling.
------
scientifically speaking I think something has to reproduce to qualify as a living creature.
If a machine is programmed with Artificial Intelligence, and then creates another machine by replicating - does that therefore qualify as life?

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.

Exactly. I agree there. We might not agree on what exactly "preserve and protect" means but in the end I think we are on the same page about the earth being alive or not.

Scientifically speaking, no the earth is not alive. It's a large rock full of things that ARE alive, but it doesn't have a life form of its own.