Is the Earth "Alive"? (The Meta Thread)

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by ExpectantlyIronic, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Is there a fact of the matter concerning the Earth being alive? On one hand we can say yes, as long as the definition of life is made precise, but someone can always argue we should use the term in another way. So there is always a normative linguistic component to the issue. We might dispute that if we think there is an élan vital that the Earth either has or does not have, but modern biology makes such a thing seem untenable. So barring disputes on whether the Earth possess certain characteristics that can be agreed to constitute a living thing, the issue seems mainly to be a normative one: should we say the Earth is alive? Hence, there would seem to be no fact of the matter.

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Quick and Simple then... All I have to ask is; Should we say the Earth is Dead?

3. ExpectantlyIronic

I'm not sure what it'd mean to say that.

4. icegoat63

Its easy to question whether the Earth is alive or not, however the Ramifications of considering it "dead" are a different question.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

Sure, but it still baffles me as to what someone would mean by saying it's dead.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

can you tell a rock is whether dead or alive?
    it goes the same with earth. the world functions. that's all.

7. icegoat63

well if its not alive then its obviously dead. if its dead then it must be a completely static object then, unchanging, unphasing.

I know its probably hard to understand, but even rocks have a life cycle.... Now I'm not going all Pocahontas here and saying everything has a soul. But Rocks do in fact have life cycles. Their cells break down, their atoms change; but it takes gargantuan amounts of time. Some rocks go through amazing amounts of Morphosing over the course of their existence. Igneous Metamorphic rocks will come up from the ground out of large batholiths, will wear down, morphose again into a completely different version, Sedimentary Rocks.

I cant make an argument that Rocks are alive, but I can make an argument that they are far from dead. Rocks are very dynamic things even if we'll never see what they are capable of in our own lifetimes.

8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

So like, riverbeds, fire, water/ice/snow, air, etc are alive.

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

not being alive doesn't necessarily mean being dead. when people are nor alive nor dead, they are in the state of coma.

i didn't say rocks are dead though. they evolve in many ways.

10. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

You know, I have to admit that when I first read this I was baffled. But I do actually understand what you mean by this. Everything has a cycle of existence, be it physically alive or otherwise. Everything that exists must come to an end. I get what you mean now, you make a great point. :D