Is the death penalty a cop out?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
People say that the death penalty should be reserved for the most heinous crimes, but life without parole should be a lesser charge. Wouldn't it make more sense to either switch them around or eliminate one of the two sentences? Personally I would rather be killed then sent to prison for life. A bit satirical, but if I was a killer, I would gladly kill another 5 people just to make sure I'd get the chair instead of life in prison.

Opinions please

Gavik

Registered Member
Personally I would rather be killed then sent to prison for life.
I think the reason a lot of people are happy with life instead of the death penalty is because there's still hope. You have the rest of your life to work on getting out of prison, and the posibility future events leading release is always out there.

Of course, the death penatly is isn't exactly the best method for protecting society from its worst. Inmates spend decades on death row, and are always in one stage of appeals or another. Should they just be taken outback after sentancing and shot? Probably not the best idea, but until we get Minority report style mind readers, I think the current appeal system for death row inmates should stay.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
If you actually didn't commit the crime, having a life sentence and waiting decades for forensic technology to improve might be a preferential idea.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
To be honest, I think anybody that molests children needs to be fried, end of story. It's the only reason I have to support it. Well, almost the only reason. It does cost a lot of money to keep these criminals in prison and some of them have committed such disturbing crimes that they don't deserve to life off of our money, even if it is a life in prison.

F

Feslin

I don't think that the death penalty is so much a punishment as it is a safety measure and money-saver.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I think I would like to get the chair instead of spending the rest of my "Stuffed up" life in the prison.

Getting bashed up by the prison gangs and bribed by the warden or the security. The chair would be better for me.

D

deltabtry

In sense yes it is a cop out, if we wish not to use the death penalty then imprison them to life with hard labor in northern Alaska. This way you will need no fences, no walls, no cells, just a permanent encampment. Any attempts to walk or run to the nearest city would take weeks in perfect ideal conditions which doesn't exist. If they wish to try to escape so be it, they will be dead within three days, if the cold or terrain doesn't kill them the wildlife will.

Now if wish to execute them, then bring back the guillotine(with face up) or hanging. Lethal injection is a cop out.

If some one is heinous enough or man enough to commit a crime which requires this punishment then they should man up and take the punishment.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
In sense yes it is a cop out, if we wish not to use the death penalty then imprison them to life with hard labor in northern Alaska. This way you will need no fences, no walls, no cells, just a permanent encampment. Any attempts to walk or run to the nearest city would take weeks in perfect ideal conditions which doesn't exist. If they wish to try to escape so be it, they will be dead within three days, if the cold or terrain doesn't kill them the wildlife will.

Now if wish to execute them, then bring back the guillotine(with face up) or hanging. Lethal injection is a cop out.

If some one is heinous enough or man enough to commit a crime which requires this punishment then they should man up and take the punishment.

There have been numerous proposals to interr inmates on inescapable islands where they will have to fend for themselves and create their own society. The left always argues that this would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Hoosier.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
...until the appeals process had completely died out, that'd defintely be cruel and unusual if the person happended to be innocent. After that, sure, by all means do so.

D

deltabtry

There have been numerous proposals to interr inmates on inescapable islands where they will have to fend for themselves and create their own society. The left always argues that this would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Hoosier.
Agreed, and I would reserve this punishment for the most heinous individuals. Before execution or exile to northern Alaska the state would need all this to prove their case.

DNA, blood evidence, murder weapon, confession, witness, the body and it would have to be rock solid, none of this vague third hand evidence.

Who would I send there:
Child rapist, kidnappers and murders
Serial killers
Rapist/killers
Gangbangers...actually I would execute these individuals, in sense they are no better than terrorist. The murder on a whim regardless who you are or how old you are.