Is Space Research Worth It?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Mirage, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

How do you feel about programs like NASA (or whatever your country has for space research and exploration) being funded by taxpayer dollars?

For example, do you think it's worth spending taxpayer dollars on sending probes to Mars, the moon, etc, let alone talk of sending people to Mars?

The more I think about this the more I think it's a complete waste of money. Especially right now when the economy is in trouble. I think things like the space program should be put on the backburner, aside from weapons based space research.

2. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

:huh: I can think of few causes more worthy of funding than advancing human understanding. Even if the technological advances and discoveries made by NASA never gave themselves to more 'practical' applications--and they do--I consider gaining awareness of the world to be an end in itself, and perhaps the most important thing to which we can aspire.

icegoat63 likes this.
  3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree with EI in that the advancements of human understanding is a cause that most certainly needs to be funded. The technological advancements and discoveries coupled with the intellectual curiosity make space exploration a must.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree with EI and Cap'n-O. The things we learn through space research are invaluable. Weapons based space research is probably one of the least important of these things.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

But would you agree that it's not worth spending money on this during the current economic mess? That's kind of my secondary point in the OP. I think it's optional research that happens to be extremely expensive.

Well weapons based research includes things like satellites that can shoot nukes and other missiles out of the sky, not to mention hijacked airplanes, etc. Doesn't do much good for suitcase nukes but it's certainly has obvious benefits. It's also a lot cheaper than ideas like sending probes or people to mars or other planets and it benefits us NOW, not a few hundred years later.

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I dont know if I could. Because of the astonishing excess of bureaucratic money wasting that already goes on in the Government... I'd at least like to know my tax dollars are being wasted on something Im interested in and actually believe in.

I completely agree with EI in that expanding Human Knowledge of our own world, existence, and beginnings (or endings) is worth every penny.

still worth my tax dollars to me. Because a hundred years from now will be my Grandkids generation.... and as sad as I am about how my generation has fucked this world over, I'd like to be able to believe that if anything a breakthrough here that could save them then is worth the risk. (does that make sense?)

Major likes this.
  7. CaptainObvious

I agree with Goat, there are other things I'd much rather cut than this, in these economic times.

I also view it as doing something for future generations which I am completely for.

Major likes this.
  8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

If money is the only thing that matters to you, then no, space research is not "worth it". However if you believe that the advancement of human knowledge is a noble goal, then it's definitely something that should be pursued.

9. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

Well whats not to say there isn't some economic gains to be had in the scientific research.

Lets say for instance NASA wants to build a base on the moon, hypothetically.

So we need to get a ship, the materials and supplies to build said base, air-purifiers/creators or whatever you would need to build a colony/base on the moon.

This all requires parts and supplies, all of which can be made in the USA. So NASA then spends all this money on manufactures here in the United States.

Now company X makes rockets. They just got this nice big NASA contract for huge rockets. They get to work hiring engineers, laborers, truckers, the works to meet NASA's demands.

So really optional research could actually be beneficial in an economic sense.

I for one think NASA is one of the more important programs out there. Economy will suck if we blasted with huge planet smashing asteroid. We can't make money if we all die. And NASA are the guy's who'll spot the thing then send Bruce Willis up there to blow the shit outta the sky.

10. CaptainObvious

Yes, but building that moon base and the rockets contract will cost billions, all tax payer money. Throwing our nation into further debt so it may or may not be good in the economic sense, in fact, it could be very bad economically. Still, space research in my opinion is very worth it.