• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Music Is radio dead?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
In a way I listen to a form of radio on a regular basis via the wonderful thing that is podcasts. I have many that I am signed up to and also a app on my iPhone that allows me to listen to a massive catalogue of them. I also use Spotify which again in it's own way could be seen as radio but what I don't do is listen to the radio that much any-more.

I know many people who do, my dad for example always listens to it on a saturday or a sunday when he is doing garden work to be able to listen to football games and here the news etc. Almost every car today still comes with a radio and with DAB radios people certainly still try to make it work.

With all that being said I would not consider radio dead but simply something I do not happen to listen to, but do you? Do you enjoy it? What do you listen to on the radio and when do you normally listen to it?

Elanor

Registered Member
I listen to the radio everyday, always first thing in the morning. I also listen when I am cooking, and sometimes when I get home from work.

I listen to BBC Radio 2, which is considered to be for people a lot older than me. It plays old music and chart music and everything in between, which is good for me as I like all kinds of music.

I really like listening to the radio, especially when I am busy doing things around the house. It is easy to have it on in the background, and pay attention to it when something interesting comes on.

Like you say, I don't think radio is dead, there are just so many different ways to listen these days.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I listen to BBC Radio 2, which is considered to be for people a lot older than me. It plays old music and chart music and everything in between, which is good for me as I like all kinds of music.
The really odd thing about Radio 2 is I remember listening to it in my dads car years ago thinking "what on earth is this?!" yet now when I listen to the radio it plays things I used to listen to in my teens, it makes me feel old...

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only time I listen to the radio is when I'm on long trips or the electric is off and I can't have the TV on. The main reason I don't listen to it around here is it fades in and out so bad and my radio sounds like crap.

Konshentz

Konshentz
The radio is certainly not dead. I am forced to listen to it at work every day. It's awful, it plays terrible songs... but it is very much alive.

Elanor

Registered Member
The really odd thing about Radio 2 is I remember listening to it in my dads car years ago thinking "what on earth is this?!" yet now when I listen to the radio it plays things I used to listen to in my teens, it makes me feel old...
That is the downside, but then I think that actually, music these days is nothing compared to a lot of older music. Which is why I love radio 2, it plays a lot of the decent new stuff, and even more older music. Plus music by people that would never be played on radio 1 these days.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am lucky that in St Louis we have an alternative rock radio station that I love. They play music I like and they morning show is very enjoyable. Our AM sports talk shows are really good too.

So no, its not dead. Its not what it used to be but its still alive.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
So no, its not dead. Its not what it used to be but its still alive.
This is an interesting thing to say Kev, don't worry I am not gonna shout at you or anything like that but I do want to focus on it. When you say "it is not what it used to be" do you mean that fundamentally it has changed such as style, direction and how it runs or that it is simply not how it used to be for you?

In the case of Radio 1 here in the UK it has done all of the things above in a massive way, even in my teens I loved Radio 1, I used to work in an outdoor store and part of my job was unpacking clothes and putting them on hangers and on rails, it was a boring monotonous job but listening to Mark and Lard and Chris Moyles got me through it.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is an interesting thing to say Kev, don't worry I am not gonna shout at you or anything like that but I do want to focus on it. When you say "it is not what it used to be" do you mean that fundamentally it has changed such as style, direction and how it runs or that it is simply not how it used to be for you?

In the case of Radio 1 here in the UK it has done all of the things above in a massive way, even in my teens I loved Radio 1, I used to work in an outdoor store and part of my job was unpacking clothes and putting them on hangers and on rails, it was a boring monotonous job but listening to Mark and Lard and Chris Moyles got me through it.
I guess what I mean is that people don't rely on the radio like they used too...and its probably not used as much. I mean back when there was no TV, radio was the thing to listen too. I cannot even imagine listening to the radio at home anymore...only in my car. I remember as a kid falling asleep to the radio. Usually I was listening to the baseball or hockey game and without a TV in my room, that's all I had. Those days are numbered IMO. With ipads and ipods and TV how it is, the radio is less popular than its ever been.

But in a car? It still serves a huge purpose I think. I almost always listen to the radio in the car these days unless I just got a new CD or something.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I have satellite radio in my car, so I listen to that whenever I'm driving. It has hundreds of stations, and no ads, which is my least favorite thing about regular AM/FM radio.