Is PC gaming still considered for "nerds/geeks" while...

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by viLky, Apr 4, 2011.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

...console games are considered "normal" in this day and age? (Sorry, my topic titles are sucking. I need to get more creative and shorten them up!)

Back in the 80's, early 90's console games got the stereotype of only being for geeks/nerds. Then one day that stereotype got broken be it because the games got more intense, better graphics, better plots, whatever. They just eventually broke the stereotype. The same can't quite be said for PCs because while I browsing the net I can see the difference between how console gamers are treated compared to PC gamers.

Questions:

1) Do you notice any hate, criticism and/or "nerd/geek" names being thrown at PC gamers?
    2) Do you consider PC gamers nerds/geeks while you have no problem with console gamers?
    3) If you are a PC gamer, have you ever encountered any hate because you play a game on PC rather than a console... or because you play PC games instead of console games?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

1.) I've noticed a bit over things like the Orange box and other various games that cam be played on both the 360 and PC. I own both a 360 and a PC, I buy games for what I would be more comfortable playing them on, I like playing FPS games on the PC mostly, it's just better in my opinion.

2.) I do not consider all PC gamers geeks but they're definitely out there a lot more than with console gamers. I have no issue with console gaming.

3.) Going back to my answer for #1 is the best way to answer this question.

Here's the order that I would rate the systems I play. Nintendo>PC>XBOX and then Playstation is somewhere out there in a distant 4th (whether that's good or bad).

I just never caught on to FPS games very well, they're all the same it feels like. I find Nintendo games to be very creative and interesting, Sega was similar for me, very colorful, creative and entertaining. (but they're gone now, I still play my Genesis and Saturn every once in a while)

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

See, I don't think this is the case at all. Games didn't get more mainstream because their quality increased, games became more mainstream thanks to massive communities and public exposure to help break preconceived notions of gamers as smelly virgins in their parents' basements. Celebrities began showing up for game releases and actually playing them, games like Halo and Call of Duty made it cool to sit down with some friends and play some games on a Friday night because hey, millions were playing too! Also, the nerd/geek style has even become something we consider sexy in women and it's growing more in men (to a degree).

No.

What I see is a lot of "elitist prick" being thrown at them and it's because a lot of them make it too easy. Constantly around internet forums you hear crying from PC gamers about how consoles are killing gaming, how PC is the best, and that console gamers are just drooling monkeys with controllers and DLC. A fair amount of PC gamers seem to have a hard time understanding that there is an equal demand for consoles and PCs since both have their positives. They've really begun to alienate themselves these days.

No but to some people those terms may require solid definitions as they're kind of broad already. Although more often than not, I think PC gamers have problems with console gamers.

No.

I'm not a serious PC gamer but that's because I'm still upgrading my PC. I play the STALKER series, I've played Diablo 2 long enough to have earned a second degree in college, Halo, Serious Sam, World of Warcraft (briefly and discovered how boring it was to me) and other MMORPGs. I'd rather play Call of Duty on my PC due to the precision of a mouse but I can't yet.

4. SeaCucumber

SeaCucumber Registered Member

Exactly what I was going to say. I know a lot of guys who are cool, but when it comes to gaming they are elitist pricks. The notion that I enjoy playing on a console more makes me an idiot apparently.

A mouse is the greatest invention ever made for FPS games apparently. And having aim assist means I'm bad no matter how well I do.

That and the fact that a good gaming PC can run you $1000. It really lends itself to elitism. Guess it makes you feel good that you shell out all that cash and are obsolete in a couple of years.

PC gamers destroyed the idea of a PC-only developer by continually pirating more and more of their games.

I have no sympathy when/if you get called a nerd, geek, or elitist. You are destroying your own gaming world and isolating yourself from the rest of us by flaunting your cash in the form of how beast Crysis 2 looks on your computer.

End rant.

5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Good gaming rigs don't need to cost that much unless you're trying to stay bleeding edge. A decent one can cost you as little as $300 - $500.

And no, you don't need to upgrade every year (unless you're bleeding edge). For that price, you can keep that PC for a long time. Roughly the same time as a games console.

6. Crouton

Crouton Ninja V.I.P. Lifetime

Until I read this thread I had never even thought of the idea that PC gaming is for the geeks while console isn't. After thinking about it though there is some truth to the statement. Even though there are many hardcore console gamers I think a lot of people still see console as a bit more casual than PC.

PC is something people usually lock themselves away with and do on their own, with headphones etc. Console can be a lot more involving for groups of people, often consoles are placed in the centre of the house in a living room etc. This way a lot more people interact with console gamers while they are gaming as apposed to PC gamers. This could have something to do with the stereotype.

7. Zenheizer

Zenheizer needs practice

I love gaming of all kind. But I can see the notion where games like World of WarCraft, Diablo, Civilization, and other epic fantasy-esque games get put only on the computer, because of its gameplay. These games can be seen by others as nerdier, but I think people knock gaming as a whole more than console vs. computer.

Madden and NBA 2K and mainstream sports games, that those meatheads love don't translate well to computer, which is where the link is I guess.

8. Starfire86

Starfire86 Registered Member

I play games on both a console and a PC. For me, it's just about availability. If my boyfriend is playing something on the xbox, I can always jump on here and play something. I don't find it makes me any more nerdier than I already am :lick:

9. laserlight

laserlight Registered Member

I havent noticed the geek or nerd thing very much and if i do i ignore it cuz im having too much fun playing the games. =) PC games are really cool since you have so many people to play them with but i really like console games too. it depends on what mood im in.