• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo Is Nintendo's "Family" Angle Hurting It?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This came up in my mini rant about fanboys and I wanted to address it. There's no doubt that Nintendo is printing money with the DS and spewing cash with the Wii, but money aside, does the family friendly angle tarnish Nintendo (even a bit) in the eyes of gamers?

Personally, I really like the idea of everyone being able to play a game together, but I wish sometimes that there were a few games that could be fun solo. That's my only gripe with Nintendo's new angle, is that almost all their best games need a few people for them to be really fun.

So what do you think? Is the family angle completely good or does it have drawbacks?

Jakey-D

Registered Member
It has its drawback clearly if you happen to live along and have no friends but let's face it...in terms of having a laugh with your buddies it totally kicks the 360 and PS3's asses. I have a 360 but am well aware that this time Nintendo have already won the console wars.

The games for the Wii may be childish and family aimed but I dare you to find a family of games that will make you laugh so much as the Mario Kart family.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That may be true but just wait Jakey, Microsoft is working on a Halo Racing game that should give Mario Kart a run for its money.

Imagine racing warthogs while shooting and killing your opponents? Does it get any better?

I kid, I kid, but seriously a game like that would be pretty awesome actually now that I think about it.

Jakey-D

Registered Member
That may be true but just wait Jakey, Microsoft is working on a Halo Racing game that should give Mario Kart a run for its money.

Imagine racing warthogs while shooting and killing your opponents? Does it get any better?

I kid, I kid, but seriously a game like that would be pretty awesome actually now that I think about it.

I was actually reading your post and nodding thinking: "That actually sounds pretty awesome."

Such a shame you jest!

dDave

V.I.P.
I don't think that the family centered idea is hurting nintendo, they have a lot of great single player games AND Family centered games, plus on the DS most of those games are more fun with 1 person.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I think Nintendo's Wii isnt directly competing with the PS3 or 360. Microsoft and Sony seem to at least think that way. I mean the Wii sales are not hurting the respective consoles sales. And PS3 is releasing their plethora of titles this Christmas and Microsoft is right with them trying to compete with them doing the same thing.

I would also have to say what is hurting nintendo is with the Wii (and DS) they publish nearly any idea for a game. There is a lot of garbage out there for the Wii and developers were commenting that for the PS3 and the 360 there is a process to submit a game to a committee (they do not take just anything, but that is not to say bad games do not come out). Nintendo really doesnt have that process...developers were commenting in an EGM article it was "easier" to get a game made and published with Nintendo.

Nintendo also is not going to publish a game like BioShock or Gears. Red Dragon (I think that's what it was called) was their best effort at something geared towards that audience. And it was considered a bust.

I think they have lost some integrity by releasing a bunch of crappy games and few quality games.

I don't think being geared towards the family is really that bad. In a day's age where violence and sex sells, it's gives the parents something to buy for their kids something that doesnt glorify such ideals.

I would have to say I havent met a "serious" gamer who has bought a Wii besides a Nintendo fanboy. I think its a fun party system with some games but I find the motion sensitive controllers too gimmicky for my tastes.

Jakey-D

Registered Member
I would have to say I havent met a "serious" gamer who has bought a Wii besides a Nintendo fanboy. I think its a fun party system with some games but I find the motion sensitive controllers too gimmicky for my tastes.
No offense Swift but the term 'serious gamer' makes me cringe to the high heavens. Video games are about having a laugh and messing about. 'Serious gaming' is a concept that I find very sad and (forgive and forget that I ever used this term in my life) 'nerdy.'

If anyone gets to the stage where the consider gaming as serious then they need to have a serious look at their life in my opinion

KiethBlackLion

Registered Member
Perhaps my comment about Nintendo's reputation has a family system was mislead and I failed to clarify it. Allow me to correctly say that I feel that Nintendo's family reputation has not hurt Nintendo itself but has hurt the library of games for it.

As stated previously, it is easier to get games through Nintendo, so there's a lot of crappy games. And yes, Nintendo made a smart move with the Wii in developing a system for entire families and groups of friends to play. However, the library of single player games suffers from the over-abundance of group games and so PS3 and 360 are able to provide more of the single player "gritty" games as I like to call them.

Thankfully, there are games such as Blazing Angels, Zelda, Harry Potter (though controls are sticky at times) and later on SW: The Force Unleashed and Ghostbusters (I think) will be coming to the Wii as well.

So, to clarify my previous statements, I feel that Nintendo's reputation has hindered the library of games available and currently in development, not Nintendo itself.

dDave

V.I.P.
I would also have to say what is hurting nintendo is with the Wii (and DS) they publish nearly any idea for a game.
That's the one thing that bothers me, I have seen tons of really stupid games for the DS including but certainly not limited to...

Big brain academy
the brain age
king kong
wiffle ball
Aquarium DS

basically they have a lot of really retarded games, but i can live with that because I know how to avoid stupid games.

missingno

Registered Member
The whole family thing is only hurting it because fanboys generally judge games by their ESRB rating at most times. If the game isn't rated M, it's automatically for kids. For the true gamers, and the customers Nintendo should be reaching anyways, the family angle is just fine, and the stuff is selling. Even if it doesn't sell as well as another system here and there, either way they're still in business, so it shouldn't really matter.

Also. If you want a bad DS game, Sprung. A dating simulator with action packed dialogue where you choose what to say to people with relationship trouble. Though games like Big Brain Academy and Brain Age aren't necessarily bad ideas, it's just a good workout for your brain.