• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Is Monogamous Sex Boring for Women?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This is what I got out of the article from Slate. According to evolutionary theory, men are supposed to want to screw everything in sight and women are supposed to want to settle down with one guy. Then somebody did a study and found, surprise surprise, the evolution theory was wrong and women are just as horny as men.
Then I read this study: Are college student hook-ups linked to anxiety and depression? that determines that having casual sex leads to physiological disorders such as depression and anxiety.
Nothing new here. Evolution theory was proven wrong, the Biblical world view was proven right.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
This is what I got out of the article from Slate. According to evolutionary theory, men are supposed to want to screw everything in sight and women are supposed to want to settle down with one guy. Then somebody did a study and found, surprise surprise, the evolution theory was wrong and women are just as horny as men.
Then I read this study: Are college student hook-ups linked to anxiety and depression? that determines that having casual sex leads to physiological disorders such as depression and anxiety.
Nothing new here. Evolution theory was proven wrong, the Biblical world view was proven right.
Um. What? How so? Do you have any evidence to back this up?

I wouldn't even go so far as to say Slate is trying to stir the pot. They're just trying to increase traffic on their site. Seems it worked.

With a world population of over 7 billion, I question the validity of any article summarizing women's attitude toward monogamous sex.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Women have sexual fantasies just like men do but women are less likely to admit or speak them. I've read tons of stories and heard a lot about women wanting to have threesomes or registering in swing clubs just to add spice to their boring marriage sex life. It all comes down to how vital their sex life is and how much satisfaction they get out of it.

Boring sex is boring and monogamy can become part of boredom if there's no variety inside the monogamy. That's when women (just like men) start to wander and look for more.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd imagine most of the people did intend to be monogamous and got tired/bored after a few years, or after many years.

Then there's just the new and different way of thinking which appears to be especially popular within the gay community, that humans are hard-wired not to pair off.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have just read this "article", I say that because frankly this does not seem to be much of an article to me but that is just my opinion on the writing of it. To answer the question I think it comes down to one very simple thing: everyone is different

What works for one may not work for another and this not just women, some men and women will never wish to settle down and will want different kinds of sex with different people, others will not and find it more comforting to be with the same partner because they know they will always be there.

I think if there is anything wrong with sex in a monogamous relationship it is not the sex itself but the people involved.

Wade8813

Registered Member
The problem with that article is the research it's based on, IMO. They talk about an ingenious method to remove societal expectations by offering fantasy one night stands. But I think that not only does that method not remove societal expectations, it may actually increase them.

Our society is becoming much more accepting of one night stands. On top of that, I think our society sort of expects females to be more celebrity-obsessed on average. A fantasy one night stand plays right into that.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think several things can be the cause of boring sex in a monogamous relationship. After you have been together for a while people can forget to treat the other one like a man or woman. You fall into this trap where sex is just expected, women stop trying to initiate things or wear sexy lingerie because the man forgets to treat her like a woman, get romantic or even tell them they love them once in a while or visa verse.

Then you had the arguments that are bound to happen after you have been together for awhile. Sometimes things get said that go straight to the bedroom and the offender never bothers to apologize or make up for it in any way. The one offended doesn't put forth much effort when it comes to sex after that and the next thing you know one or both are cheating instead of trying to sort out the problems between them so things can get better.