Is marriage overrated?

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by RJ-Cool, Jul 1, 2010.

1. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Most people get married because it's what's expected, especially if they are religious. They are taught that marriage is the ultimate commitment.

Back in the day marriage was a standard, not an option. If a man knocked his girl up, they had a shot gun wedding, continued to have children and more than likely stayed together out of obligation. Today, however, couples have found ways to attain all the attachments of marriage without the title.

Some people tend to think that marriage is the only way to go if you and your partner desire true commitment while others think that if you love each other, you will be great together whether or not you are married.........

What do you think? Is marriage overrated?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010

2. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

Overrated? Or do you mean used and abused by idiots?

No, I don't think it's overrated but I do think alot of people marry for the wrong reasons.

3. Disease

Disease New Member

Not to be rude or anything, but I don't understand what you mean. I think what you meant is if it's worth getting married.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

My first thought is yes, it's overrated. But then I read StormC's post and I do agree with her, it's given a negative image by certain people.

I think whether it's overrated or not is more of a personal thing, actually. For me I feel like it is because I personally don't really want to get married. I'm not religious whatsoever and I don't see the big deal in it. I would if the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with really did, otherwise, I'm not fussed about it. But I also understand that some gals and guys grow up with a strong mindset that marriage is, I guess, inevitable if you will. Just how relationships turn out if you continue down that path and one of their dreams/goals in life is to settle down and get married.

At the end of the day it's really just another human ceremony that doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but maybe I'm just being insensitive and pragmatic.

5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Overrated? Probably not. Unfortunately it doesn't mean as much as it used to, due to all of the divorces and such (myself included).

Personally, I could take or leave it. I don't need a marriage ceremony to spend my life with someone. If they wanted to get married, then I would. But I don't really have any strong feelings towards getting married again.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Marriage is not related to religion, or at least it shouldn't be. That's the "other" meaning people give to marriage.

I see it as something that has to do with commitment and responsibility and I'm of the idea that if a person loves you for real, he's able to share this commitment and responsibility with you.
    By this, I don't mean people who don't get married are irresponsible, but I think that marriage is another stronger way to show how much a person loves you.

7. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I do consider marriage to be religious. It is a promise you make in front of God that you will spend the rest of your life with that one partner. I actually take that very seriously.

But back to your question RJ - I don't think marriage is overrated at all. I think it is underrated in fact. I couldn't care less about what other people do in their relationships, but I will personally not stay in a relationship that has no intention of going towards marriage. But I speak for myself only!

8. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I think marriage can be related to religion if you believe that it is. Most of my cousins have been married in the church but a couple others were married in different locations. One at a garden/park deal and one at City Hall of all places. But this thread isn't about religion...

Is marriage overrated? I mean I tend to say no, it's not overrated by the very definition. If you love someone and want to spend the rest of your life with them then I think getting married is the way to go...might as well make it official. I don't really fuss or get bent out of shape about marriage. My parents might really REALLY want me to get married but its not something I'm going to do unless I'm positive I'm with the person I'm supposed to be with. I'm content with the single life to be honest; at least for now I am.

So overrated? Nah, not really. Some people make a bigger deal out of it than others. I'm kinda in the whatever camp.

9. theotherone

theotherone Registered Member

I think some people overrate it, thinking it's the magical potion for making something work out long term - when really what you need is a relationship makeover or to realize that it's not working and move on.

I know plenty of people who love marriage and for them no, it's not overrated and they have a great marriage and love the fact that they're married.

Marriage in and of itself can be overrated when it's not approached the right way, IMHO, however I'd argue it's usually just undervalued.

10. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

I'm with storm and her disciples on this one. Marriage for the right reasons, when its sincerely what both parties want for themselves and each other, is a beautiful thing. I have the fortune of living in a household where I get to see what a good marriage looks like every day. So I do believe that if both people know what they're doing and that marriage is what they want, it's a good thing.

ysabel likes this.