• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Is marriage important?

Interis

Registered Member
Imagine that you will reach 25 years old soon, but you have just finished your formal education. After graduation, you landed in a work place with relatively good salary. You dream of learning new languages, maybe one or two musical instruments, or study abroad. You think about getting a new phone or starting the down payment of your own house.

The (possible) problem is that you are still single.

Where would you place dating and marriage? Would you actively looking for a partner? What would you do if you plan on living your life without husband or wife?

NellyBell

Registered Member
If being single doesn't bother that person, then no, I don't think it's important. If having a family is part of the dream, then well, it is. I think people find their opinions about marriage changing as they get older, so I mean, I'd never write off the possibility completely...personally, at least. But that doesn't mean you'd have to be active about it either - just sort of a 'if it happens, it happens' mentality.

Sophia

Registered Member
I agree with NellyBell. If being married is in your equation then pursue that path. I do believe you should not put the rest of your life on hold. Continue on and keep your eyes open.

Godsmirror

Registered Member
Interis.........Do all that in your 20's and something extrodinary will happen. When you hit 30 and start looking for a woman who is in the same age bracket, they will be more accommodating and willing to accept a proposal than they are now.

A single woman at 30 with no kids is what call "low hanging fruit".

Carmelita

Registered Member
I don't know that you can really actively try to find a spouse. Most people don't find one until they aren't looking anymore. I tend to agree with Godsmirror in that 30-year-old women are more accommodating and they are hearing that ever-present "biological clock". That might be the best time.....

Interis

Registered Member
A single woman at 30 with no kids is what call "low hanging fruit".
This kind of phrases makes me uncomfortable because it feels as if women are only child-producing factories, although that may be the fact in many cultures.

On one hand, I think it is wrong to be obsessed over romance when there are so many things to set as life goals. Happiness comes in many shapes. On the other hand, I fear for the day when I regret not accepting the blind date offers or being more serious with one or two candidates because I was too busy going after my dreams.

Pepper

Registered Member
I am 38 years old, I have been single all my life and I was 34 when I got married. However, I got separated and couldn't be happier. I guess everyone is different and has different views and priorities. Marriage has never been a priority of mine, so getting back to being single feels more like me than when I was married.

Keri35

Registered Member
It totally depends on the person. I would say go have fun in your 20s... Start thinking about finding your soul mate later in your late 20s. Do fun things and enjoy yourself.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
All the things you mentioned can be done as a single person so I wouldn't hunt for a spouse but just let it happen in its own time. Sometimes you find the right person when you least expect it.

Interis

Registered Member
All the things you mentioned can be done as a single person
Exactly, thus the question in the first post.

Sometimes it's just so uncomfortable. The family members are constantly asking. A friend thinks of herself as unworthy after she breaks up with her long-time boyfriend (and she thought they would get married someday). I am sometimes envious of those in relationships or marriages, but the pressure and difference in priorities make me want to show them all that I can do fine even without a partner.