Is Love enough?

RJ-Cool

"Expect the unexpected"
Some people say love is the most important thing; if you love each other, you can conquer the world!
Love might be enough to start a relationship and maybe even a marriage........but,

Is love enough to sustain a relationship/marriage?
(give the reason for your answer)

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Yes, love is the most important thing, but no it's definitely not enough. You can love someone and not be able to live with them or maintain a relationship with them for a variety of reasons. Relationships take a lot more than love to make them work, and one partner may not be willing or able to give all that it takes.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
My poetic side wants to say love is the most important but in all honesty, I don't think any one aspect is important. If you want to look at love as if it were an automobile, love would be the steering wheel. But without all the other components, love can't get you anywhere. You need communication, respect, and loyalty. Disney movies have blinded several generations now into believing that if you simply love someone, everything else should fall into place or that love will conquer all. I've seen relationships fall apart where the love is still there but there's no communication or there's no respect. Sure you may say that's not love but then again, who knows the one, all encompassing definition of love?

Bottom line is, determine what love is for you and when you love someone you do everything in your power to keep them happy and loved without ignoring yourself. At least, that's me.

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
Some people say love is the most important thing; if you love each other, you can conquer the world!
Love might be enough to start a relationship and maybe even a marriage........but,

Is love enough to sustain a relationship/marriage?
(give the reason for your answer)

Love is part of it, of course, but it's not everything.
...There are many key factors that keep relationships / marriages together; I do not believe love alone can do it.

RJ-Cool

"Expect the unexpected"
Most people in modern society would not marry each other were they not in the throes of romantic love. This emotion is so intense that it is called "true love" and deemed the only reason to marry or to stay married to another.

What we need to make a relationship work is a thorough understanding of how our emotions work; why intensity does not guarantee longevity.

lkhwb

Registered Member
There has to be something else there once that intensity goes away. And it does go away. Respect, friendship, desire, love, compatibility, shared interests ... there are many aspects to "love" that are needed for a relationship to work and last the distance. And you have to keep maintaining it. Its a garden, it needs nurturing, it won't survive unless that happens.

Lisa

firehawk

Registered Member
unfortunately not in todays corrupted society. many one night flings, unwanted pregnancies, divorces etc.... - people just want more and more and more and are spoilt rotten and dont appreciate the essentials or basics of love, life and relationships. it was said on the metro paper that women are very much spoilt and are bored as they have "done it all" (do a search if you dont believe me) - and I knew this would happen personally.

but because of the way people are these days, there is no such thing as love or relationships, there is no such meaning sadly. unless i get proved wrong but never do! the mentality now is "ah well, if he/she wont do this for me or acts like that, thats it i will find someone else right now....*gone*" - there is no such thing as talking together, becoming close and intimate, enjoying one another and being open with each other, together in a cool and in an adult manner.

love should be enough because at the end of the day, the person has been searching or wanting someone in their lives. when they found it - thats it. thats the search over and you should cherrish, appreciate and be grateful for that. end of. no more ifs, buts or anything.

Daemonic

Registered Member
Most people in modern society would not marry each other were they not in the throes of romantic love. This emotion is so intense that it is called "true love" and deemed the only reason to marry or to stay married to another.

What we need to make a relationship work is a thorough understanding of how our emotions work; why intensity does not guarantee longevity.
I have to disagree, people marry for many reasons without love. Some just settle, want a companion, are looking for financial stability, don't want to go back to their home country, etc. I don't think most people ever marry someone they are in love with. They may love each other, but I think marrying someone you are in love with is rare.

I think a marriage can work even without love.

Not that I care, I quit caring about romantic love for myself because it became self-destructive for me.....

Yes, love is the most important thing, but no it's definitely not enough. You can love someone and not be able to live with them or maintain a relationship with them for a variety of reasons. Relationships take a lot more than love to make them work, and one partner may not be willing or able to give all that it takes.
This.

In the beginning of almost any relationship all you see/feel is the here and now. You may be able to paint a picture of what you want your future together to be like, but once the reality sets in and you start to realize exactly what it entails, love just may not be enough.