• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

    Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Is Kershaw worth 300 million dollars?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Lots of rumours out there that the Dodgers offered Clayton Kershaw 300 million dollars(not sure about the length), and he turned it down..reasons unknown. Clearly no one is worth that much, but as far as baseball contract goes do you believe Kershaw is worth that much money?
 

Amuna1225

New Member
Dickey's Flow said:
Lots of rumours out there that the Dodgers offered Clayton Kershaw 300 million dollars(not sure about the length), and he turned it down..reasons unknown. Clearly no one is worth that much, but as far as baseball contract goes do you believe Kershaw is worth that much money?
Cano isn't worth it, Kershaw isn't worth it, A-rod isn't worth it and i said that when they signed him to the 10 year/245 million dollar deal. Only player that's worth that much money is Cabrera.
 

Rehmo

New Member
Pitchers are scary when it comes to money like this... Kershaw is hands down best pitcher in baseball, but that could change in the blink of an eye. Look at Doc, one of the best 2 years ago and now he's always on the DL and clearly not his old self. One Tommy-John and Clayton could turn bad quick, it's the nature of the beast I guess.
 

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Teams are sitting on big piles of money based on a wave of new RSN deals. That money will find its way to the player market.
 

Amuna1225

New Member
Rehmo said:
Pitchers are scary when it comes to money like this... Kershaw is hands down best pitcher in baseball, but that could change in the blink of an eye. Look at Doc, one of the best 2 years ago and now he's always on the DL and clearly not his old self. One Tommy-John and Clayton could turn bad quick, it's the nature of the beast I guess.
Best pitcher in baseball? Please see Justin Verlander, even though he had what was considered a "Down year" for him.
 

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Amuna1225 said:
Rehmo said:
Pitchers are scary when it comes to money like this... Kershaw is hands down best pitcher in baseball, but that could change in the blink of an eye. Look at Doc, one of the best 2 years ago and now he's always on the DL and clearly not his old self. One Tommy-John and Clayton could turn bad quick, it's the nature of the beast I guess.
Best pitcher in baseball? Please see Justin Verlander, even though he had what was considered a "Down year" for him.
Given their age difference, is that even a question? It's Kershaw in a landslide.

At 30 years old, I'm not sure Verlander is even No. 2 anymore. You can make the case for Felix Hernandez (27) and even Stephen Strasburg (25).

Gerrit Cole (23) and Jose Fernandez (21) also would be pretty good choices.
 

SoberJaysFan

New Member
Yeah, I wouldn't call Verlander the best in the game any more either. You could say he was the best of the past 5 years. But going forward? Naw.
 

Rehmo

New Member
Amuna1225 said:
Rehmo said:
Pitchers are scary when it comes to money like this... Kershaw is hands down best pitcher in baseball, but that could change in the blink of an eye. Look at Doc, one of the best 2 years ago and now he's always on the DL and clearly not his old self. One Tommy-John and Clayton could turn bad quick, it's the nature of the beast I guess.
Best pitcher in baseball? Please see Justin Verlander, even though he had what was considered a "Down year" for him.

Look at their stats beyond W-L, bescause W-L is a useless stat. Kershaw has a career ERA of 2.60 with 1200+ KO, and a WHIP of 1.092

Kershaw Stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... cl01.shtml

Verlander has career ERA of 3.41 with 1671 KO and a WHIP of 1.191. Verlander has had 3 more seasons than Kershaw.

Verlander stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ju01.shtml

So ya I'd say Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball.
 

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
He's the best pitcher in baseball. He's won the ERA title three times already. He's about to win the Cy Young for the second time. He CAN strikeout many batters, get a lot of groundball outs, get a lot of fly outs when he needs it but he's NOT worth $300 million in my book. He barely plays in 20% of his team's games. Which goes back to, because he's a pitcher, he's NOT going to have as much of an impact as a position player. The first 5 years of the contract will still look pretty good since he's going to enter his prime years and even then, it's NOT even a guarantee that he'll keep up his pitching dominance. A lot of guys pitch well before they get their big money but after they get this contract, they struggle. (Ex: Barry Zito, Justin Verlander, Mike Hampton, etc).

He's worth about $160-$170 million over 8 years but $300 million is just too much for a pitcher. No one is worth that much money because of all the things that CAN happen that could make a big contract look bad.
 

Rehmo

New Member
Dickey's Flow said:
He's the best pitcher in baseball. He's won the ERA title three times already. He's about to win the Cy Young for the second time. He CAN strikeout many batters, get a lot of groundball outs, get a lot of fly outs when he needs it but he's NOT worth $300 million in my book. He barely plays in 20% of his team's games. Which goes back to, because he's a pitcher, he's NOT going to have as much of an impact as a position player. The first 5 years of the contract will still look pretty good since he's going to enter his prime years and even then, it's NOT even a guarantee that he'll keep up his pitching dominance. A lot of guys pitch well before they get their big money but after they get this contract, they struggle. (Ex: Barry Zito, Justin Verlander, Mike Hampton, etc).

He's worth about $160-$170 million over 8 years but $300 million is just too much for a pitcher. No one is worth that much money because of all the things that CAN happen that could make a big contract look bad.
Like I've said in the past money is one thing contract length is another. If a contract is 5-7 years then ya you can pay him $15-$17-$20 million a year, but teams can't do these 10 year deals anymore, they don't work and they force teams into a corner if people get hurt, talent declines or they need to, for whatever reason, move said player.
 
Top