Movies Is Johnny Depp overrated?

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I'm gonna get it for this, but I think Johnny Depp is completely overrated. I'm not saying he's bad actor, he's great. Infact, I think he's a brilliant actor, but its just, I dunno I don't think I like him very much. I'm pretty sure - actually scratch that, I'm positive I'm in the minority on this.

Its just, with every movie or biopic in the works, people go "Oh, Johnny Depp would be perfect to play Mitch Hedberg" or "Johnny Depp would be perfect to play Joey Ramone" or "Johnny Depp would be perfect to play so and so" I think there are other actors in Hollywood besides him who do fabulous jobs such as Jeremy Renner, Tom Hanks, Don Cheadle etc. I should probably stop before this turns into a rant.

So, long story short, does anyone else feel this way?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't say he's overrated. Overhyped perhaps. Here's the difference. Overrated, at least for me, is when somebody is not as good as they are given credit for. He's not been in anything I've seen (and I've seen quite a few of his movies) that made me question his acting abilities. If anything he only continues to outdo himself. Going from Willy Wonka to John Dillinger? You can't do that unless you have skills. There's no way around that. That's why he's not overrated. But overhyped? Yes. Some people say things like "He would be perfect for such and such role". Well people said that about the Joker in The Dark Knight and guess what? I turned out somebody else was also perfect for the role.

One problem that he's so recognizable now that no matter who he plays, it's still "Johnny Depp" playing a character. It's hard to see just the character. That's not his fault though. It's just an attribute to his success. He's become more than a household name.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I am with you bubbles, he is very overated. Don't get me wrong, he is a good actor, but any other good actor can fill in his role. To me he doesn't have any good stand out roles yet. What's funny, when somebody mentions Johnny Depp I think about the movie, What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Now in my opinion Leonardo DiCaprio's role was hard and he performed the role great, but yet everybody praised Depp for his acting, and it was mediocre at best. I think his break out role is coming, but he hasn't had it. Tom Hanks had Forrest Gump, Leo had Titanic, Depp...nothing.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think his break out role is coming, but he hasn't had it. Tom Hanks had Forrest Gump, Leo had Titanic, Depp...nothing.
He definitely has had it. Look at the movies he was in before Pirates of the Caribbean. Now look at the movies he has been in after. Jack Sparrow turned Johnny Depp into a household name. He was in far too many off the wall and cult hits before then. Now everybody knows every movie he's in. Jack Sparrow main him mainstream if you ask me.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
He definitely has had it. Look at the movies he was in before Pirates of the Caribbean. Now look at the movies he has been in after. Jack Sparrow turned Johnny Depp into a household name. He was in far too many off the wall and cult hits before then. Now everybody knows every movie he's in. Jack Sparrow main him mainstream if you ask me.
LOL, I forgot about Pirates of the Caribean. :lol: But my opinion still stands, didn't really get into those Pirate movies.

I agree with Hybrix, he's overhyped rather than overrated. I may not have liked every movie he has starred in, but never was he the reason for this. He has the talent to carry a shitty movie on his shoulders.

kitchendame

Registered Member
I took a quick look at his IMDb filmography before answering this and am beginning to think he is un-overratable. The guy's been in 42 films with a dozen more in the works, 7 different tv roles, has been nominated for or won 86 awards (including 3 oscar nominations), has produced, directed, put out soundtracks; this guy is a going concern.

Speaking solely about his acting ability, I've been an admirer of his since his dual role in Before Night Falls, starring Javier Bardem. Depp plays two characters: a transvestite prisoner and a sadistic prison guard, brilliantly, I might add. It is, in fact, most of his odd-ball roles that convinces me that he can't be overrated.

As for those who say, "Oh, Johnny Depp would be good in this," or Johnny Depp would be perfect for that", I'm inclined to believe it's simply laziness on the part of the person casting Johnny Depp, rather than Depp being overrated. Hollywood is full of brilliant actors, some of whom will probably never be famous or even particularly well-known. But Depp is bankable in a way that no one else is, and he was smart enough to diversify his roles early on his career and to continue to do so. This gave him an edge few actors have; it enabled him to hone his acting skills with a huge variety of characters and movie and tv screen genres, and it made people think he could do all types of roles, because, in fact, he has.

I didn't mean to blat on about it, I'm just really impressed with the guy.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I think he's pretty damn awesome. But that might be because I want to do him.

He's definitely a talented actor. He can go from characters such as Edward Scissorhands to Jack Sparrow. I don't think he's overrated. I will kill your FACE, Bubbles.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't believe he's overrated at all. I think he deserves all the credit he gets. He's a terrific actor, and he does a good job portraying different type of characters. Just take a look at Jack Sparrow and Mad Hatter, he did an amazing job at both. He's not one dimensional like several actors in the business today.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm gonna get it for this, but I think Johnny Depp is completely overrated. I'm not saying he's bad actor, he's great. Infact, I think he's a brilliant actor, but its just, I dunno I don't think I like him very much. I'm pretty sure - actually scratch that, I'm positive I'm in the minority on this.

Its just, with every movie or biopic in the works, people go "Oh, Johnny Depp would be perfect to play Mitch Hedberg" or "Johnny Depp would be perfect to play Joey Ramone" or "Johnny Depp would be perfect to play so and so" I think there are other actors in Hollywood besides him who do fabulous jobs such as Jeremy Renner, Tom Hanks, Don Cheadle etc. I should probably stop before this turns into a rant.

So, long story short, does anyone else feel this way?
Absolutely I agree. I get tired of hearing "OMG he is SUCH a great actor" "OMG he did SUCH a great job in ____" when he was ok. I mean he's not Keanu Reeves but he's not Robert De Niro either.