Is it REALLY true that...

Discussion in 'Autos' started by blumantaray, Sep 30, 2008.

1. blumantaray

blumantaray Registered Member

Cruise Control SAVES gas?

Cause I had always heard the exact opposite...until I found that nugget of wisdom on a "green driving tips" list. Anyone know how much it actually saves and why (I'm guessing because the it keeps the amount of gas being used steady)?

2. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Pretty much, since you're not constantly revving to keep up with the speed limit, it won't be much but it might make a difference to the wallet.

3. blumantaray

Right, I had a feeling it was something like that. Although it probably falls pretty far down the list of fuel economy habits, unless you do a lotta highway drivin'

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well it's not really worth using cruise control if you are driving around town. If there are a lot of stop signs or traffic lights it's not very convenient to use cruise control. I know people who use it all the time though. It can actually be dangerous to use in towns and neighborhoods.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I use cruise control all the time. But I drive in the country where the speedlimit is 55-60mph generally everywhere without stop signs or stop lights.

Honestly cant think its really effected my gas mileage..... interesting concept though.

6. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah it helps... a little.. Those lists are kinda the deal where if you do EVERYTHING on the list you will notice a difference in your gas milage, but if you only pick 1 or 2 things that are convenient for you then you aren't going to notice the difference.

7. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

If any of you ever drove a manual you'd know that, most of the time, cruise control doesn't save gas.

Pay attention to how much your engine revs before it shifts going up/downhill. Automatics have this annoying habit of running the RPMs up before it shifts. My car, for example, can rev up to 6,000 or so RPM before it shifts. If it were a standard I'd shift it around the time that I hear the engine starting to rev up pretty high (3-4k). The higher the RPMs the more gas you'll use. Lower RPMs = less gas; it's why drifting down hills uses so little gas. In neutral and drifting the car is using less than 1,000 RPMs and saving large amounts of gas.

So, no, cruise control can be pretty bad for your gas consumption. You save way more gas just paying attention to the RPMs and drifting down hills. With the price of gas these days I don't even worry about going the speed limit. I drift until I start going up the next hill.

8. blumantaray

A-ha! I knew there was more to it than that, thanks! Kind of in-line with your advice, I've heard that keeping automatics in 1st or 2nd gear while going down hills (or driving in residentials) can be good for gas, too, I assume for the same reason.

For anyone curious I'll post the remainder of the driving tips below, maybe a few more of them can be "clarified". Although I got it from Mini's carfunfootprint.com website, so I would hope that they know something about cars, right?

So, on 2nd look, it seems like the cruise control thing could be either good OR bad for gas, depending?

9. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

It would depend on the car, probably. I wouldn't trust most cars.

Wrong. Lower gear = higher RPMs and more gas consumption. You're actually using more gas. It is, however, easier on your brakes. Right now gas > brakes.

10. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Even when I drove a manual I still used Cruise Control. But like I said, where I live its more wide open with little to no stopping.