• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Is it okay to use the word "rape" while gaming?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's no surprise to anyone who knows me that I love games. I love playing games, and talking about games. I've been playing them my whole life. Games now are a modern and amazing platform for art and storytelling, with many modern games being very mature and meaningful.

Why does it seem then, that the more mature games get, the less matures gamers are becoming?

Now we all now that people trash-talk each other in games, but should there be a limit? In particular, I see a problem in the huge rise in how many people say "rape" while playing games. Particularly males since they still dominate the online gaming world.

Is it okay to so casually throw this word around, a word that usually carries a very heavy and serious meaning? So many times I have heard such phrases as "I just got raped by that guy" or "Did you see us? We raped that team" whilst talking about games.

I have heard the argument by one gamer, that the word rape historically had another meaning rather than just sexual assault. It once also meant "To Plunder" or something along those lines. This may be the case, but is an outdated use of a word that most people today probably don't even know, a good enough excuse to use it so commonly now?

Maybe, maybe not. For all the men and women in the world who have been raped, I would say probably not.

When exactly did a subject as dark and heavy as rape, become a casual and light-hearted joke among so many? Do these people really know what they are saying, or are they just copying what they hear their peers say in true sheep mentality? And more importantly, what would it be like for an actual rape victim who one day was playing a game only to have torrents of rape threats being poured at them in jest?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't like it, but generally won't comment unless I know the person well enough, or the situation particularly warrants it. Or, if they get more graphic than that

Woofer14123

Registered Member
sure, all words are meaningless unless their true meaning is actually implied

language is a way to communicate...

and if all you're doing is communicating your enthusiasm, i feel curse words only hype up the enthusiasm part of it

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Is rape a curse word though? That's interesting that you think it is. I've never thought of rape as a curse, more of a word that defines the sexual assault of another person. I actually don't even know what the definition of a curse word is. Now you've got me interested. I'll have to look into that.

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
sure, all words are meaningless unless their true meaning is actually implied

language is a way to communicate...

and if all you're doing is communicating your enthusiasm, i feel curse words only hype up the enthusiasm part of it
While it's true that context shapes the meaning of words, there is still generally a single agreed-upon definition which allows for easier communication. And frankly, when people mention 'rape', even in the context of games, it's frequently specifically talking about sexual assault.

Woofer14123

Registered Member
Well, if 'rape' is sexual assault, what is 'spanking' ?
"we just spanked those guys" after winning a match - what would that make you think?
"they just took it in the ass, wow those guys sucked dick" - what would that make you think?
"we just raped em, did u see how the other guy ran away instead of even trying to help" - again... it's just an emphasis imo. Maybe due to your past events you see the word as having more of a meaning that everyone universally acknowledges?

wooly

I am the woolrus
I think that's it's perfectly acceptable to use when gaming. But then, I think it's perfectly acceptable for anyone to say anything! They are after all playing a game in the confines of their own home with their own friends and are free to say whatever they want. Sure, online gaming has made that a bit less the case, but that's what mute buttons are for. Different people have different humour, and not everyone will appreciate it but I guess it entertains the people that do use this phrase.

Of course I wouldn't recommend that gaming companies endorse the word officially! I can't imagine a game advert saying "play team deathmatch mode: rape your friends!", but that would be more terrible business sense than anything :p

I don't think it's specific to gaming either that "rape" is used so casually. It's definitely used in sports as well (as in "that team just completely raped the other team") and pretty much any competitive environment really!

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
It's fine when gaming, I don't care much for it either way because I don't use the word. It's not the first word that pops into my mind when I am abusing someone while playing FIFA 13 or CoD: Black Ops.

I can see why it could be taken the wrong way, but people need to chill a bit.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I believe that using the term "rape" kind of fits. I mean, I've played competitive games like Halo, where I would join up with a team and try to decimate the other team. We did get aggressive and excited about raping the other team. I believe it makes sense, or fits because...have you ever seen anyone be tea bagged in a game? Meaning someone that kills someone else will go over to the body and crouch on and off over the dead person's face. For the alternative version I like to call it clam slam.

I have had negative personal experiences with being attacked sexually, and honestly this doesn't bother me in the least. I see it as two separate things.

BigBob

Registered Member
It's fine, and there's no harm done.

I don't personally use it towards other teams (I don't trash talk, and usually if I'm playing with my clan and there's someone in the clan that does, I mute them). I will, however, say "Shit, we just got raped" after a game if we lose.