• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Is it ok to date a coworker?

Keri35

Registered Member
What are your thoughts on work relationships? I personally don't have a problem with dating coworkers but I know a lot of people do.

What are the pros and cons?

Pepper

Registered Member
That's an absolute no no for me! I just can't stand the idea of dating someone from work. What if things get serious and then they don't work out? I just could never do that.

MissMe

Registered Member
No, nope, nada, no way! This can turn into a horrible situation. What if something goes wrong? What if they get promoted and become your boss? It's better to avoid this situation to be on the safe side.

IrishLass2247

Registered Member
Take away the risk of causing tension and opening up the company for sexual harassment liability, I just think it is bad for business. Most partners are not going to be able to be objective with the person they date. Most people lack the ability to be impartial and unbiased and it creates an uncomfortable work environment for everyone involved.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am not against it if both people can handle it.

There are risks involved if it doesn't go well...or if it does...not everyone wants to work and live with the same person haha

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
It just depends on the job, ages, and many other factors. I'm not terribly opposed to it, but at this stage of my career it would have to be for the real thing and not just a fling sort of situation. Mainly because you're risking a lot of work drama.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its up to the individual, and the company, but I don't see it as a good idea. If it doesn't work out the tension can become too much. Sometimes there is even backstabbing and jealousy going on that will make it impossible to work together. Unless its a large company and you rarely see them or you can get a transfer.

Pepper

Registered Member
Oh, and I forgot to add: if I'm dating someone, I would definitely not want to see them in my face every single day! I really need my personal space, so it's definitely a bad idea in my opinion.

Impaired

Registered Member
The problem is that if it goes south, you now have that in the work place where you will spend significant time in their presence.

However, I have seen it work out, from time to time. One of the places you can meet somebody else and get to know them is in the office.

NellyBell

Registered Member
I don't think it's a good idea, mainly for the reasons that Impaired pointed out. Not to mention, the rules about that vary from workplace to workplace, so there's always that too. On the plus side, well, if no one ever dated their coworkers there would never be a Jim and Pam, which would be a tragedy.