• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Is it better to know when you're going to die?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I chanced upon an article talking about death and knowing. No, it has nothing to do with the supposed end of the world in a month, haha. The author starts by stating that if someone has a terminal condition, and the doctor knows how long the person has left to live, virtually everyone would think that the patient has the right to be told. "So why should it be different if that terminal condition is life itself?"

Thoughts?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I think the answer would be different for every single person and you can't really say on the whole. Some would plan life better and live out their remaining days to the fullest, and others would freak out and it would ruin whatever time they did have left, even if it's a long time. You could end up obsessing over it.

For me, personally, I wouldn't want to know unless I was going to die peacefully at an old age. I'd want to know that. But if it was anything else, don't tell me. It's probably all I'd ever think about.

dnno1

Registered Member
There is some good and bad to it. If you knew when you were going to go, you would have ample time to prepare for it and decide what to do with your estate after your death. That might be a good thing. The bad would be that if you did know, I doubt that any insurance company would cover you or if they did, they would renege once you got close to your death.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Yeah, there was a discussion about insurance. If we know exactly when we're going to die, insurance would probably not cover those who for sure are going to die soon. For personal impact, I would assume people would tend to live their life to the fullest if they knew theirs is about to end. Although we're supposed to be doing that already since we all know death is inevitable at some point, there's always a part of us that feels we still have time...and therefore we don't do things we want to do thinking we'd have decades to fulfill our desires. On the other hand, I can imagine obsessed people who might spend the last few years thinking about end and death instead of enjoying life. And who knows, perhaps bad people won't care about doing bad stuff knowing they won't have to live with the consequences for so long.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If I had terminal cancer I might want to know when to expect the grim reaper but as far as some type of testing to determine how long you will live I don't think I would want to know. I don't know how accurate these tests would be because there would be other factors to consider like environment, lifestyle and accidents.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I wouldn't say it's better to know, but I also wouldn't say that it's worse. Definitely, the way in which people live would be a lot different compared to how we live while not knowing. Some people live healthy, in hopes of prolonging their lives. If they knew they would die a certain date, no matter what, they'd probably just do what they want. A lot of people live their lives in certain ways in the hopes of prolonging their lives.

What would be interesting is if we just always knew WHEN we would die, and could see that date change depending on our actions. Then life would become a game of seeing how different actions affected your deathdate.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
I think the answer would be different for every single person and you can't really say on the whole. Some would plan life better and live out their remaining days to the fullest, and others would freak out and it would ruin whatever time they did have left, even if it's a long time. You could end up obsessing over it.

For me, personally, I wouldn't want to know unless I was going to die peacefully at an old age. I'd want to know that. But if it was anything else, don't tell me. It's probably all I'd ever think about.
This. I find that I would probably obsess over it, and the ironic thing is that, let's say that our deaths are already written in stone. So no matter what we do, how hard we try to go against it, I reckon it'll just be one of those things where it will all just lead to your eventual death.

E.g. Your death is predetermined: "You will die in a plane crash". You try your best to avoid it, stay indoors, away from the airport, but some weird circumstance is made in place that will make sure that you end up on a plane, someway, somehow. Or is this some weird plot to a cheesy flight movie? lol .

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I wouldn't say it's better to know, but I also wouldn't say that it's worse. Definitely, the way in which people live would be a lot different compared to how we live while not knowing. Some people live healthy, in hopes of prolonging their lives. If they knew they would die a certain date, no matter what, they'd probably just do what they want. A lot of people live their lives in certain ways in the hopes of prolonging their lives.

What would be interesting is if we just always knew WHEN we would die, and could see that date change depending on our actions. Then life would become a game of seeing how different actions affected your deathdate.
I like that moveable date. It would be very controversial though because we would probably blaming others a lot for decreasing our lifespan. Would people start to sue food companies if they saw they have months less to live after eating at their restaurant? :lol:

But if it's a generic "end of the world, everyone will die" would you want to know it?

This. I find that I would probably obsess over it, and the ironic thing is that, let's say that our deaths are already written in stone. So no matter what we do, how hard we try to go against it, I reckon it'll just be one of those things where it will all just lead to your eventual death.

E.g. Your death is predetermined: "You will die in a plane crash". You try your best to avoid it, stay indoors, away from the airport, but some weird circumstance is made in place that will make sure that you end up on a plane, someway, somehow. Or is this some weird plot to a cheesy flight movie? lol .
That's a good spinoff. Would we be better off knowing the cause of our death and not know the WHEN, than knowing when but not knowing the HOW?

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Yeah, totally right? So creepy. I've seen heaps of these plot twists in tv shows to make me believe, that it could be possible you know? I think it's best if we don't know ANYTHING in regards to how we die. One causal chain leading to another, leading to our eventual deaths? Yeah .. I sure as hell wouldn't want to know.