Is God A Selfish Jerk?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mirage, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Some of the other recent religion threads were kind of headed this way so I thought I would start a thread on this.

It seems to me that some people here are under the opinion that God is a jerk, or furthermore a selfish jerk, among other things.

Why? Because he set rules for people? Because he allows free will to cause tragedy in the world? Because he didn't "answer" your prayers?

If you have a problem with God then feel free to vent it here, although I would personally pose the idea that any problems you have with God are due to a lack of proper understanding or simply a warped or distorted view. But let's discuss this and see where it goes.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

2. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

I don't have a problem with God nor do I think he is a selfish jerk.
    ...What does upset me is that my family and I always seem to never get a break or a glimpse of "the light at the end of the tunnel" in life- we're always having to deal with one thing right after the other with very little "recovery time" in between.

They say "God only gives you what you can handle" but I don't believe it. I'm only human. Not bionic.

Rant /

3. Stegosaurus

Stegosaurus Registered Member

I too don't necessarily have a problem with "God"--the general conception of him, that is--I have a problem with people.

If any one religion turned out to be perfectly correct, infallible, absolute, and proven to every person on the planet, then I am sure that I could cope with and understand whatever ills came my way or someone else's way--I really would have faith to fall back on.

I don't have any problem with, "God,"--I have a problem with the people who fight each other over their belief of "him." If God is as he is explained by people who say that we cannot humanize him, then I do not think that he has the capacity for pettiness, anger, or jealousy seeing as how a perfect being is complete and thus lacks (and wants for) nothing--I do not think "God" can be a jerk because he is supposed to be divine. But that is a different story...

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think he's selfish let alone a selfish jerk because after all, I don't expect anything from God.
    I think He's my creator but that's about it. I don't ask/claim anything from him. He doesn't owe me anything. If I need his help, it's up to Him to help me or not.
    I only thank Him from bringing me into this life.

5. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

I do think that "God" is a bastard. I have my own personal reasons for this, which some of you know (or should do anyway). I'm not sure that I can actually believe in a "God" that could do something so cruel (but I'm not going to carry this thought on).

We are led to believe that God loves all of us, so why would he cause pain and suffering to people? It seems a bit of a cop-out to say "it's Gods Will" or "He doesn't have to do anything".

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It actually depends on what bible you read. In the Old Testament, he's an absolute dick. In the New Testament, he's a pretty decent guy. I think people just got fed up with this idea that God is nowhere to be seen and insists on you finding him but even if you don't and still live a good life, you go to hell. It's a bit strange to worship a being that created beings just to worship himself.

7. Diederick

Diederick Registered Member

Yes, I think he is. In the OT he's a real jerk, you don't have to be an atheist to come to that conclusion. But in the NT, Jesus, meek and mild, invents hell and eternal damnation to it.

8. Raos

Raos Registered Member

People who think G-d is a selfish jerk are putting human constraints on a non-human entity. It does not work that way. G-d is more than any of us can ever understand. As the saying goes, G-d works in mysterious ways. It is similar to a parent telling their 4 year old that they can't eat ice cream for dinner and the 4 year old stomping off crying its not fair. Well just because the 4 year old can not comprehend the reasons the mom and dad said no to the ice cream does not mean the parents are cruel or selfish or anything like that.

9. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

Once again, if the God of the Bible exists then any and all criticism would be completely wrong, because He would be perfect.
    ------
    - How is He a jerk in the OT?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  10. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I don't think an omnipotent being that condemns his creations to eternal damnation for being gay is perfect.

Then again people are the ones who make those judgments and warp the concept of God into their image. Which I strongly believe all humans are predisposed to do since they need a being that they can relate to.