Is God a dictator?

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
God has rules and we need to abide by them.
If we don't we are to be punished.
That sounds dictatorous, doesn't it?

Yet a dictator would make sure that those who don't do as they are told really would be punished.

God on the other had has given the people free will and allows people to do as they please. So God isn't really a dictator.

Your comments will be welcome :)

BigBob

Registered Member
To people who don't like religion, they will say he is a dictator because they only see one side and that is their side.

I believe God is a being that created rules for us to follow to get us set for life, and to break to improve life.

Obviously that's just my opinion.

Well if you think about it purely in a government view point then yes God is a dictator. Even though he allows you the free will to make your own decisions, ultimately you are eternally punished if you do not follow his rules. NOt to mention he is the sole governing body, he makes the rules, he enforces the rules, and he is the only one who can judge you.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. If he is indeed infallible and omniscient then he'd be the perfect dictator and would do better for the world than bad. So while he may be a dictator, he may be the dictator humanity needs.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
The problem with thinking that God is a dictator is the mindset that God is a form of government, which he is not. He has always been portrayed as a father figure. This makes the human race his family with him as the head of the household. Traditionally, parents will set rules and expect them to be followed, and will punish their children if those rules are not followed. In a loving family, this setting of rules and punishment is not done out of a desire to control the children, like a dictator does his subjects. The parents do this to make their children more honest and responsible, and to prepare them for life. They do it out of a desire to see their children succeed. If you look at the ten commandments, you can see some corollaries. For instance, one of the commandments specifically says to respect your parents. Then there is the commandment that says to put nothing else above God. Now, if you look at that from a purely objective view about the religion, it's there to ensure that people follow Judaism or Christianity. (Islam too? I'm not incredibly knowledgeable about Islam but I do know that it uses the teachings of the Hebrew prophets and Jesus, so I assume the ten commandments are a part of it.) However, if you are looking at that commandment from a more philosophical and theological standpoint, you can see how it is akin to a father's demand for respect from his children. The father is traditionally the one who provides for the family and keeps them safe, so he would be deserving of their respect. In Abrahamic religions, God is the creator of the world, and giver of life to humans. He has created everything that humans know and use. Therefore, he is deserving of respect because he has provided our well-being.

TL;DR, no, God isn't a dictator.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
No. If the Christian God were to exist, he would be a bastard in a league of his own. Dictators make their presence known, whereas the Christian God expects people to believe in him for no reason whatsoever, and then punishes them eternally with the worst torture imaginable if they don't. There's never been a dictator that twisted and evil.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
God has rules and we need to abide by them.
If we don't we are to be punished.
That sounds dictatorous, doesn't it?

Yet a dictator would make sure that those who don't do as they are told really would be punished.

God on the other had has given the people free will and allows people to do as they please. So God isn't really a dictator.

Your comments will be welcome :)
If the definition it's just based on the bolded line, then God could be a dictator because I was told about the punishment for not doing according to the commandments. Or at least it's what I thought HELL was for.

Personally though I don't think God is a dictator, but then, I also don't believe in a lot of things that are usually attributed to God (but that's another story).

Rectify88

Registered Member
I always thought it was funny when non believers put that name on God so they think that they would have a better excuse for not believing. You know it would be good to realize that he gave us the all time greatest ability given to any creature... Free Will and it starts ad stops at us. Whatever we do we always have a choice. Some will blame him for giving us free will, they say since he's all powerfull h shoudl have foreseen what we will become. Well it doesn't matter becuase thats still on you. He's not a dictator, and it doesn't matter what will happen at the end for each of us he's not a dictator. Dictators make sure you bow to thiere, if you say im not going to follow you today the man is not going to stop you, that's going against free will. Believe me he thought this through.

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
If the definition it's just based on the bolded line, then God could be a dictator because I was told about the punishment for not doing according to the commandments. Or at least it's what I thought HELL was for.
I was taught that a man who has sinned his entire life and reaches old age but come to his death bed he repents - God forgives him.

I think a dictator would not allow that man to live that long.

Cait

Oh, poppycock.
He does not kill us or punish us on the spot for breaking his rules. He gives us a chance to ask for forgiveness and more often than not (if not always) He gives it to us. A dictator would not do that. God wants us to live our lives well and that's why He sets the rules.