Is global warming a fad?

Here's what Gallup found: The number of Americans who say the media have exaggerated global warming jumped to a record 41 percent in 2009, up from 35 percent a year ago. The most marked increase came among political independents, whose ranks of doubters swelled from 33 percent to 44 percent. Republican doubters grew from 59 percent to 66 percent, while Democratic skeptics stayed at around 20 percent.

What's more, fewer Americans believe the effects of global warming have started to occur: 53 percent see signs of a hotter planet, down from 61 percent in 2008. Global warming placed last among eight environmental concerns Gallup asked respondents to rank, with water pollution landing the top spot.

Another recent Gallup study found that, for the first time in 25 years of polling, more Americans care about economic growth than the environment. Just 42 percent of people surveyed said the environment takes precedence over growth, while 51 percent asserted expansion carries more weight. That reverses results from 2008, when 49 percent of respondents said the environment was paramount and 42 percent said economic growth came first. In 1985, the poll's first year, 61 percent placed a bigger priority on the environment, while 28 percent ranked economic growth highest.
Source: Political climate for energy policies cools - News - ReviewJournal.com

When you have people like Al Gore intentionally trying to scare the crap out of people with these over exaggerated speeches he gives about global warming it makes me less interested. That, and him making all his money now on promoting his book and his whole life about spreading the fear of global warming.

Maybe I shouldn't let this one person cloud my view of the real issue. I know it's happening either slower or faster than expected, and I do think we should worry about the environment more so than the economy. This is just me, though, apparently the American people are more concerned about the economy than the environment. They also think the media exaggerated global warming, too.

Which one do you want to try to save first: environment or economy?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The economy is fleeting. The planet/environment is less so. What good does it do to have a thriving economy if our planet is uninhabitable?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
The economy is fleeting. The planet/environment is less so. What good does it do to have a thriving economy if our planet is uninhabitable?
I think the point is Jeanie, is that scientists are constantly reworking their theories. In the seventies, it was "Global cooling" and now it's "global warming". The more you read about it, the more it really just seems like a natural cycle of temperature change, something more scientists are beginning to study and understand.

I'm not saying global warming (which is a poor choice of name since it's really climate change they're talking about, not everything will get warmer) is a lie or is wrong, but it certainly does seem ballooned, couldn't you agree?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The environment is much more important than the economy, and you will never have a strong economy without a healthy environment. I don't understand the people who doubt global warming. There's so much proof of it happening faster than ever.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
The environment is much more important than the economy, and you will never have a strong economy without a healthy environment. I don't understand the people who doubt global warming. There's so much proof of it happening faster than ever.
Not really though. I have to dig through some links, but I know I've read that stats are overblown and that these dips and dives in temperatures are natural and have been documented before. I think the one thing people don't want to consider is that the "green" movement may be one of the greatest marketing strategies ever constructed.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Not really though. I have to dig through some links, but I know I've read that stats are overblown and that these dips and dives in temperatures are natural and have been documented before.
Whether climate change is natural, man-made, or a combination of both is debatable, but I think it's hard to deny that the planet is changing at an alarming rate. Fluctuations normally happen gradually, over hundreds or thousands of years. The fact that things have changed so drastically just in our lifetime is pretty scary.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think the one thing people don't want to consider is that the "green" movement may be one of the greatest marketing strategies ever constructed.

And so what if it is? Seriously - so we're spending money on goods that produce less pollution. What's the problem with that? People are recycling more and using fewer resources. Again - where is the problem?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
And so what if it is? Seriously - so we're spending money on goods that produce less pollution. What's the problem with that? People are recycling more and using fewer resources. Again - where is the problem?
The problem is when we are trying to stimulate the economy by creating American jobs, but those jobs are forced to go overseas to countries who don't subscribe to the "global warming" agenda because the companies don't have to worry about their carbon footprint there.

In the end we are just peeing in another part of the pool.

Seriously though, forcing people to buy carbon offsets? Some people are even buying them voluntarily. That whole program is one of the biggest scams in history. And if you don't buy into it you're looked down on as if you don't care about the planet.

The entire global warming agenda is nothing more than a scheme for power under the guise of "save the planet!" and unfortunately people are believing it blindly. There isn't really much evidence at all that supports global warming. In fact, based on things I've read on the issue, there seems to be more evidence against it than for it.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
Not really though. I have to dig through some links, but I know I've read that stats are overblown and that these dips and dives in temperatures are natural and have been documented before. I think the one thing people don't want to consider is that the "green" movement may be one of the greatest marketing strategies ever constructed.
There was a green movement fad back in the 70's which most of you here are too young to remember. As I recall they managed to sell a whole lotta Earth Shoes and not much else.

I applaud those who are concerned about stuff like "saving the planet" (as if the planet needs saving...it's looked after itself just fine for billions of years) recycling, going green, etc. I admire people who have the time to be environmentally aware. I'm just not one of them. I have too many other things going on in my life. And to be brutally honest it simply isn't that important to me.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The problem is when we are trying to stimulate the economy by creating American jobs, but those jobs are forced to go overseas to countries who don't subscribe to the "global warming" agenda because the companies don't have to worry about their carbon footprint there.

In the end we are just peeing in another part of the pool.

Seriously though, forcing people to buy carbon offsets? Some people are even buying them voluntarily. That whole program is one of the biggest scams in history. And if you don't buy into it you're looked down on as if you don't care about the planet.

The entire global warming agenda is nothing more than a scheme for power under the guise of "save the planet!" and unfortunately people are believing it blindly. There isn't really much evidence at all that supports global warming. In fact, based on things I've read on the issue, there seems to be more evidence against it than for it.
actually I asked what the problem is with recycling and with buying goods that produce less polution (such as hybrid vehicles and cleaning agents that are environmentally friendly). I didn't say anything about carbon offsets or manufacturers who move jobs overseas in order to boost profits, which is another subject for another debate.