Is Generic Ever Better?

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Mirage, Oct 3, 2009.

?

Is Generic Ever Better?

1. Yes, Most of the time

20.0%
  2. Yes, Some of the time

60.0%
  3. No, Brand Name is Always Better

20.0%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'll be referring to cereal in my post here but this could be about any type of food. Do you prefer name brand food over the generic knockoff stuff or are there times when you will prefer the generic stuff over name brand? Why?

For me I generally prefer the real stuff but there are cereals such as Corn Flakes where I actually prefer a particular generic brand (Kroger) over the Kellogg's version.

What about you?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Meijer brand american cheese slices (as compared to Kraft singles) are much better. I also like Meijer brand liquid soap better than Softsoap.

3. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

I have never had anything generic where it tasted better....it might have come close to tasting just as good but never better

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Well Kelloggs raisin bran is much better than... errr... wait... :lol:

I definitely prefer the generic brands of graham crackers over any of the name brands, kroger and Great value are my favorites, they actually taste better than anything else, somehow, I don't know how though.

5. Jaszibabes

Jaszibabes The Instigator V.I.P. Lifetime

Pretty much anything generic tastes just as good as name brand stuff. The only name brand thing I can think of that I have to buy and won't budge on is JIF peanut butter. There is no other peanut butter that tastes better in my eyes. But pretty much anything else is okay by me. I'm a penny pincher.

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Alot of times I actually prefer Generic foods or House Brands over the Name brands. I dont really know how to explain why, its mostly just a personal taste I 'spose.

7. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

in school we saw this education movie in my foods class that said something about the major labels own the generic brands and are sometimes made in the same factories

8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

really JIF peanut butter? :lol: I'm a huge peanut butter person and I think that Peter Pan is the best kind of peanut butter, Skippy isn't as good as it sounds. JIF is pretty good though. I try to stay with name brands in peanut butter though, cause some of the generic stuff is simply gross.

Some things I won't budge on...
    -Cheerios
    -Raisin Bran
    -Bagels
    -Oreos

9. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

There isn't a difference really between brands, just the name and price. I go with generic any day.

10. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I always get generic everything when I go to the store. The only non-generic things I get are certain cereals that only have one brand like FrankenBerries, BooBerries and Count Chocula.