• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Politics Is Fox News reliable?

dDave

V.I.P.
So often I hear people say that Fox News is an unreliable source of news. People that don't watch Fox News seem to be generally judgmental of those that do. (I do apologize if I'm making any inaccurate assumptions here)

I really just want a straight answer. What is wrong with Fox News that some people hate them so much? I think they really are fair and balanced. I've actually watched NBC and CNN a bit in recent years and I have to say that they seem to be shockingly skewed to the left. Is it just in the way that you see things?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
If you tend towards the right you will like fox news best. If you tend towards the left you won't. Fox news is the only right leaning tv news outlet (only major one anyway). The viewership that tends toward the left watch NBC, CNN, ABC etc. Fox news appears to dominate so badly simply because it is the only one that tends toward the right.

It's like 50% ish of the country like tacos and there are 5 major taco chains so they each get 20% of that 50%. The other 50% ish like burgers but there is only one burger chain in the country but they all like it so 100% of that 50% go there.

Therefore, 50% of the population thinks Fox news is reliable while the other 50% thinks the other stations are more reliable.

Just telling it how I see it.

I could have stated the standard partisan position of "Fox news rock" and "all other cable stations suck." I BELIEVE that Fox news is more reliable and is more fair and balanced but that is not the point. I tried to answer this question as an impartial observer.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Why do people hate Fox News? Because unlike the rest of the media they don't tow the party line of the Democratic Party. Are they biased? Of course. What news source isn't? I would think that those on the Left would love Fox News, it gives a perspective that is different from the mainstream media, but alas they don't. It seems many aren't open minded enough to listen to or watch anything that challenges their preconceived opinions.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Why do people hate Fox News? Because unlike the rest of the media they don't tow the party line of the Democratic Party. Are they biased? Of course. What news source isn't? I would think that those on the Left would love Fox News, it gives a perspective that is different from the mainstream media, but alas they don't. It seems many aren't open minded enough to listen to or watch anything that challenges their preconceived opinions.
Reminded me of this quote

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

William F. Buckley, Jr.

Gotta love the "open-mindedness" though. Seriously. I had an extremely liberal history teacher for AP US History in High School and an extremely liberal philosophy teacher in College. This quote honestly applies perfectly to them. Some liberals are intellectually honest in their beliefs and will have a real debate of ideas, but my experience is that if you have a different opinion than most liberals, you are either a racist, bigot, closed minded, hateful, or ignorant/uninformed. Because if you were truly learned, you wouldn't ever disagree with them? Right.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
They're not sure in their beliefs. NPR is fantastic and is more liberal than center. So? I can spot a partisan mis-truth and refute it in my head. Too many people on the left can't do that because they're not sure what they believe and why they believe it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
My biggest problem with fox news is they don't research their sources. How can I call them reliable when they report on fake news. I bet some people saw this and still think its true because it came from someone that represents their views.

Fox News host Anna Kooiman fell for a fake story that said President Obama is using his own money to keep a museum dedicated to Muslim culture open during the government shutdown.

Fox News' Anna Kooiman Falls For Parody About Obama Funding Muslim Museum
Unlike a lot of people I think its a problem with all news sources. People need to learn to recognize half truths even if its coming from their own side. This country would be a lot better off if we all would get out of this us vs them attitude because we will all suffer for it.

Jon Stewart Calls Out Fox News Over Obama Tape Edit (VIDEO)

MSNBC Uses Selectively Edited Video in Smear of McCain - Fox Nation

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
My biggest problem with fox news is they don't research their sources. How can I call them reliable when they report on fake news. I bet some people saw this and still think its true because it came from someone that represents their views.

Unlike a lot of people I think its a problem with all news sources. People need to learn to recognize half truths even if its coming from their own side. This country would be a lot better off if we all would get out of this us vs them attitude because we will all suffer for it.

Jon Stewart Calls Out Fox News Over Obama Tape Edit (VIDEO)

MSNBC Uses Selectively Edited Video in Smear of McCain - Fox Nation
These are problems with ALL news sources, yet Fox News is the news source that gets the most criticism. Why? The New York Times has actually had reporters make up stories, stories that are 100% false, engaging in journalistic fraud, yet they don't get 1/4 of the criticism Fox News gets. Why?

I don't look at examples here and there and use it to condemn the entire organization, every one of them has reporters who have done something wrong, and not checking sources is far different from making up stories.

Fox News has reporters who have been dishonest, every single one of them do. But when I see their news I see it presented more fairly than anyone else. When I see their opinion shows, such as O'Reilly or Hannity, I see commentators such as Juan Williams, Kirsten Powers, Bob Beckel, Leslie Marshall, Dr. Marc Lamont Hill, Dennis Kucinich, amongst a whole host of others giving the Left perspective. When I see opinion shows on MSNBC like Chris Mathews or Melissa Harris-Perry, all I see is a circle jerk of liberals blaming the Republicans for everything.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Fox News is better than CNN or AL-Jazeera. They are better at presenting partisan ideas moreso then they were eight years ago. I'm not saying they're prefect by any means. They still lean heavily right and put negative spin on tons of stories. I think that most of these stations need to get away from constant political coverage and cover real stories from around the United States. Let's have some positivism in our news.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Reminded me of this quote

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views."

William F. Buckley, Jr.

Gotta love the "open-mindedness" though. Seriously. I had an extremely liberal history teacher for AP US History in High School and an extremely liberal philosophy teacher in College. This quote honestly applies perfectly to them. Some liberals are intellectually honest in their beliefs and will have a real debate of ideas, but my experience is that if you have a different opinion than most liberals, you are either a racist, bigot, closed minded, hateful, or ignorant/uninformed. Because if you were truly learned, you wouldn't ever disagree with them? Right.
See, this works perfectly with any extremism, conservatism most definitely included. Any time you have a group of people that falls on the far end of a spectrum, you're going to encounter this extreme degree of ignorance and stupidity.

To answer the title:

No. Fox is not reliable. Neither is NBC, CBS and CNN is about as reliable as a blind nun with Parkinson's driving a semi in a quiet neighborhood. They've all got clear bias with Fox being one of the more transparent when it comes to what they believe. I also think that their liberal and consistent use of the whole 'fair and balanced' thing is part of the reason they get mocked so much. To be honest, I think it's always been a part of their strategy to make it seem like people are against them.

If they didn't resist their clear and obvious right wing bias, people would not mock them as much which once again, I think is part of their overall scheme.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
The thing is just because they are biased doesn't mean they aren't reliable. The New York Times is clearly biased, but that doesn't discount every news story they report or every editorial they write. If that is the standard then we couldn't rely on ANY news source about ANY news story whatsoever. Then we can't be sure the Aurora shootings ever happened, then we can't be sure Sandy Hook ever happened since none of us were there and we got it from the news and for all we know the government isn't shut down right now.