Is de-clawing cruel?

Bananas

Endangered Species
Disfiguring any animal for aesthetics is just cruel and barbaric.

I see no logic in it, If your scared of getting your furniture scratched and love materialistic objects more than living animals then don't buy a cat! A cats scratching is a part of the responsibility and burden of having a cat in the first place, you might as well just buy a cushion instead!

Docking and clipping ear on dogs is equally barbaric and purposeless.

Summer

Registered Member
de clawing is barbaric and the arguments used in this thread are not justifiable for carrying out this grotesque practice (in my opinion). If you don't want to get scratched or don't want to risk your furniture getting scratched then for goodness sake........don't get a cat. We have a lovely home with nice furniture, but I have cats and have to accept there is the possibility at some point they might scratch the leather sofa, or use the wallpaper for stretching and scratching. Its our home, our pets are members of our family and we all share it together.

Would you cut your toddlers fingers of for scribbling on wallpaper or damaging something in the house?????? I think no. It depends on your pets standing in the family, we respect our animals and wouldn't put them through such a procedure unless it was life threatening. My personal opinions and there will always be those who can justify to themselves why they have it done.

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
de-clawing isn't cruel at all, the whole point of a cat needing claws is so that it can survive in the wild, if it's a house cat then it has no need for claws and then you can also save your house from sure disaster.

Summer

Registered Member
Have to agree to disagree, ours are house cats. Its on par with an amputaion. Imagine that on both of your hands and feet, to have your fingers and toes amputated at the joints. It can also cause the cat physcological problems and innaproprite messing.

Bananas

Endangered Species
de-clawing isn't cruel at all, the whole point of a cat needing claws is so that it can survive in the wild, if it's a house cat then it has no need for claws and then you can also save your house from sure disaster.
...sorry dDave but that is ridiculous...

Humans have toes so they can swing about in the trees, we dont do that anymore should we amputate them?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Disfiguring any animal for aesthetics is just cruel and barbaric.

I see no logic in it, If your scared of getting your furniture scratched and love materialistic objects more than living animals then don't buy a cat! A cats scratching is a part of the responsibility and burden of having a cat in the first place, you might as well just buy a cushion instead!

Docking and clipping ear on dogs is equally barbaric and purposeless.
Well said. I agree 100%. I think declawing is very cruel along with docking and clipping ears.

Bananas maybe you can vouch for me on this but I've heard that in England it's illegal to dock tails and clip ears. Is that true in Whales too?

Bananas

Endangered Species
Bananas maybe you can vouch for me on this but I've heard that in England it's illegal to dock tails and clip ears.
As far as I know,(I can not confirm, frantically looks for a link) docking, declawing, dewclawing (that is the inside claw on a dogs leg) and ear-clipping is illegal on pets throughout the UK.

I think they are sometimes allowed for medical purposes and also sometimes allowed with special permission on certain working dogs to prevent future injury or disabling them from doing their job properly.

Is that true in Whales too?
I certainly would not recommend docking a whales tail!:-o

Whales = Marine mammal:lol:
Wales = Constituent country of the UK:nod:

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oooops. I thought you lived in a giant marine mammal. I thought that explained why you could only get on the net periodically when the whale came up to surface. :D

Ok anyway funny you should mention dewclawing. That's actually strongly encouraged here in the US, especially with hunting dogs. They can get caught on things while running in the forest. Ear clipping is also encouraged on hunting dogs due to the increased chances of the dogs getting into fights with other animals out in the wild. Less chance of another animal biting their ears if they are smaller.

Summer

Registered Member
There are definately vets in the UK that carry out de clawing, sadly.:shake:

I think tail and ear docking for working dogs is a totally different issue. It is done for practical reasons and to stop the animal having accidents and causing painful injury (although I would never have it done to one of our animals) For aesthetic reasons and the way the animal looks - is a big no no. I cannot think of one practical reason for de clawing apart from the stupidity of the owners (If that offends anyone, I just feel very strongly about this issue) It should be banned.
People will comlain about the mess and damage their cat causes and as a result will have it de clawed, yet think nothing of the destruction that children can cause to the home. They wouldn't think of (or be allowed to) have their fingers amputated at the knuckles. I cannot understand why someone would treat their "beloved" pet in this way. It beggars belief.

Bananas

Endangered Species
There are definately vets in the UK that carry out de clawing, sadly.:shake:
It is illegal across the UK, so if you know any vets that illegitimately practice de-clawing report them asap.

Defra, UK - Animal Health and Welfare - Animal Welfare - Draft Animal Welfare Bill - Circus Welfare Working Group
“Mutilation” covers any procedure that involves interference with the sensitive tissues or bone structure of an animal other than for therapeutic purposes (medical treatment).