Is de-clawing cruel?

For those of you with cats, or if if you don't have any. What are your thoughts on having them de-clawed?
Personally, I see no reason for it. I have two cats, they both have their claws and my furniture is completely intact.:D

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
For those of you with cats, or if if you don't have any. What are your thoughts on having them de-clawed?
Personally, I see no reason for it. I have two cats, they both have their claws and my furniture is completely intact.:D
I wouldn't say its cruel, but I see no use for it. My cats have their claws. It keeps down on the mouse and other non-wanted small critters. I'd say if your cats have big problems with clawing everything and you then do it. Otherwise I wouldn't.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I can see where some people would have a problem cat and might want to have their claws removed, but it gets rid of their climbing abilities and they lose grip when they jump a lot more.

I'd rather them keep their claws.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I can see where some people would have a problem cat and might want to have their claws removed, but it gets rid of their climbing abilities and they lose grip when they jump a lot more.

I'd rather them keep their claws.
We got my cat 2 and a hfalish eyars ago. she was declawed cus my nephew was about to be born. and he would be over a lot vuase my mom would watch him. So that's why. But I agree, they should keep their claws.

Tehre is this outside cat that I take car of. She isn't allowed in cause she has claws...

Plantation_Boy

Registered Member
I wouldn't say that its cruel but it is pointless.
If a little kid is treating the cat poorly and gets scratched it teaches the kid how to act and respect an animal

My family has 4 kittys :D and they all have there claws, and we have all been scratched once or twice.

My cats name is Moe! lolz Moe :cute:

Thats why "scratchers" were made.

So that you wouldnt need to clip off a cats claws.

Which is pointless.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't see a point in de-clawing (as a matter of fact, I heard it can be traumatizing to the animal) but keeping the claws a bit clipped doesn't seem all that bad, especially if you have little kids around.

I don't see a point in de-clawing (as a matter of fact, I heard it can be traumatizing to the animal) but keeping the claws a bit clipped doesn't seem all that bad, especially if you have little kids around.
dont cats in the wild keep their claws trim or rocks or something?

Im not sure, so dont quote me, but yeah, it seems natural to me.

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
We haven't had our cats declawed, but we kind of wish we had done so earlier. They've all but destroyed the wood paneling on some of our walls, using them as a scratching post. We've put out alternatives for them to scratch on, but they pretty much just ignore them.

Plantation_Boy

Registered Member
We haven't had our cats declawed, but we kind of wish we had done so earlier. They've all but destroyed the wood paneling on some of our walls, using them as a scratching post. We've put out alternatives for them to scratch on, but they pretty much just ignore them.

You have to get scratching posts before they start scratching on other things or else they will continue to use what the used before if it worked well.
;)

Last edited: