• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Is college worth it anymore?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
n+1: Bad Education

With the US college debt is quickly approaching the levels that the housing debt was during the bubble. Is college or university worth it?

StewedParrot

Registered Member
its not worth it to me, nor my interests. But i think if i was going into another field, or needed an important degree for authentication. only then would it be worth it. But personally, i prefer the wide range of perspective and experiences that the internet has to offer. at-least for my interests. and i only need a good portfolio to authenticate myself.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its still worth it just don't go to the more expensive colleges. Even if you know what you are doing a lot of companies won't hire you unless you have one. There may be promotions you won't get because of it.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I think it's personal choice... I mean, if you feel like you can handle college AND find a career you will love, do it. Other than that, it's not worth the ass raping your bank account will endure. If you don't have the drive, it's a waste of money as you more than likely won't get good grades. I think what we should do is try and make our public education system better so that more students can receive scholarships... and I don't know what can be done to help lower tuition cost, but that should be another thing to work on. I just don't know what can legally be done about it. haha

dnno1

Registered Member
Your choice of college is very important. You don't want to go to a school that is not accredited and you want to go to a school that offers the type of program that will help you with the career path (and I don't mean job) you want to take when you graduate. A masters degree could mean a $10,000 a year pay increase (compared to a bachelor's degree) so it could be worth it to get one some day (but not necessarily right away). Yes, college is a personal choice and, although it has its benefits, it unfortunately is not for everyone nor do you need a college degree to be successful (it will just be a little harder). What I would recommend, though for those of you who don't want to go that route is to at least go to a junior college, community college, or vocational school to learn a skill or a trade and when you do, take some business courses. At least if you learn to be a plumber or a carpenter, you can at least know how to start your own business and manage your finances.

Radium

Registered Member
Yes - I think so. I graduated two years ago with a Bachelors of Business Administration in Business Management and I have been able to gain a higher salary than the majority of my friends that haven't been able to get a degree.

I'm currently working on a MBA right now which I'm hoping will push me even higher in the eyes of my competition.

The choice of schools is important but not as much as you may think. My undergrad was a solid D2 school as is my graduate school - both in the Texas A&M system. I believe that employers judge more based upon work experience and whether or not you actually hold a degree. A resume does speak a LOT in our current job market depending on your field.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Definitely worth it to those who have the capacity to learn and want to be something great in their life and know that it's worth all the money, effort and time.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think that college has always been portrayed slightly inaccurately. I'm not sure it was ever the best option for everybody, just most people. And now it's still a great option for many people, but I would guess that even more people should reconsider whether it's right for them.

shadowchild

Registered Member
its not worth it to me, nor my interests. But i think if i was going into another field, or needed an important degree for authentication. only then would it be worth it. But personally, i prefer the wide range of perspective and experiences that the internet has to offer. at-least for my interests. and i only need a good portfolio to authenticate myself.
StewedParrot just out of curiosity what is it that you do?