Is Christmas a Religious Holiday Anymore?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

So, we know there are people who are atheist, agnostic, apathetic, or just plain half-assed Christians that celebrate Christmas and it's quite clear the focus of it has nothing to do with the supposed birth of Jesus anymore so what do you think?

Is Christmas a religious holiday to you? Or is it more a consumer one, meaning you get time off and give gifts, nothing else? As a whole, do you think society sees Christmas as a religious holiday anymore?

2. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

It's not seen as a Religious holiday where I live. All people talk about is presents and food. It's just become a free holiday, a second Birthday and a chance to be greedy without feeling bad. Everyone celebrates Christmas here. The lights on the houses, the Christmas trees, the mulled wine... Nobody even mentions Jesus.

3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Well, for myself, I wouldn't say religious, but that's just because I don't really classify myself as religion. I don't feel the need to follow a bunch of rules to consider myself christian. I believe in what Jesus did for us on the cross, and I seek after a relationship with him through prayer and just experiencing life, and by trying my dangdest to be nice to people. So as far as christmas being a religious holiday, I say no. My church still does communion every christmas, and the whole lighting of the advent candles every sunday of december. The pastor preaches about how we can't just let it be a tradition and how we need to know the real reason behind doing it, and what it really means. But naturally, that sermon is just a tradition now too.

To me, christmas is a celebration of the birth of the key man in my beliefs. God sent us a huge gift, and so we celebrate this by giving others gifts. But part in parcel, we need to appreciate the gifts we get too. Not just the presents, but the time off, the chance to hang with family (no matter the disfunction =P).

There's some people who treat christmas religiously, and that's wrong in my opinion. It's not about a set of customs. It's about Jesus's birth. And I don't think he cares what colour the candles are, or if you drink a little cup of red juice and eat a hunk of bread while praying.

(Edit: Just a funny quote I see around a lot "Jesus is the reason for the season")

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

here in Albania seems to be a crappy trend that everyone celebrates Christmas.
    i think Christmas should maintain its religious meaning though i must admit i've been "celebrating" it too, because i've been invited to celebrate it. (By "celebration" i mean i was invited for a Christmas dinner to my christian friends. [i'm "muslim" on the other hand])
    thus Christmas seems to be for everyone - it's like celebrating new year's eve...[i thought it was only over here, but the fact that you made a thread about this, means it's not just here]. Said this, i don't think everyone thinks about Jesus' birth when celebrating it.

But to me, Christmas is just another excuse to celebrate something [if i'm invited]
    because generally i'm indifferent to anything related to it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think it's been a religious holiday for a long time. Probably since Coca-Cola changed his colour to make his clothes red. :lol:

If anything, it's just a public holiday, with no emphasis on Christianity or Christ or anything. I mean, I suppose there may be some who celebrate it for that, but I've never heard of anyone, ever, doing that.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Just to clear things up, I'm not suggesting it should lose significance or anything, I'm just wondering what you think. I don't think it should lose any meaning to Christians, but I think it's reached the point where it's plausible to not call it a religious holiday anymore. It may as well be called "Buy a Gift For Everyone Or Face Scrutiny" day.

7. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

It has become more about the presents. Adverts are all about the perfect gift for him/her and the first question you're asked when you go back to work is "So what did you get for Christmas?!"

8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

To me, the focus of Christmas is getting together with the family, and not buying and getting stuff, or the birth of Jesus. I respect that the custom is practiced for different reasons by different people, though, and will not say it is not a religious holiday. It certainly can be. Those who say it should always and only be practiced as a religious holiday, though, are out-of-line, as Christmas as a cultural and family tradition cannot be owned by anyone, but has been handed down to a lot of us.

9. ClicheGuevara

ClicheGuevara New Member

I don't think it has ever been a religious holiday for me or my family. It's always just been a day to be together and enjoy each others company etc.

Being an Atheist now, I feel kinda hypocritical celebrating a holiday that is suppose to have religious meaning. I definitely won't stop though! I plan on having children and I feel it would be horrible to exclude them from a kids favorite time of the year.

10. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

This. Christmas is the one time of the year where I'll actually get together with my family, when we can put aside our differences and just be a family for a change.