• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Is Brady the greatest QB ever?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Tom Brady won his fourth Super Bowl in 6 chances, and pretty much holds every passing record come playoff time. After last nights victory, did Tom Brady surpass Joe Montana has the great quarterback of all time?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Brady has benefited from his biggest competion in the AFC for most of his career has been someone who is known for choking in the playoffs. The 49ers, with Montana, had the Cowboys, the Giants, the Bears and the Redskins that made the NFC ultra-competitive. This is also when the NFC won 13 straight Super Bowls. Brady hasn't had that level of competition in the AFC.

That doesn't lessen any of Brady's accomplishments. But I think it's part of the reason why people rank Montana ahead of Brady.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
You'd have a good argument siding either side of the fence. It's that close between the two. Brady passed a couple Montana Superbowl/Playoff records last night.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In Super Bowls:
Montana-> 83-122 (68%), 1142 yards, 11 TD, 0 INT, 127.8 Rating, 4-0 Record
Brady-> 164-247 (68%), 1605 yards, 13 TD, 4 INT, 95.3 Rating, 4-2 Record
Bradshaw-> 49-84 (58%), 932 yards, 9 TD, 4 INT, 112.8 Rating, 4-0 Record

That's pretty insane. Hard to think anyone will ever touch Montana's line there. That's incredible.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I agree, a great choice either way.

I personally give it to Brady. He's made it to a couple more SBs and never benefited from a Jerry Rice level receiver. Minus Moss, near the tail end of his prime, Brady has always made the best of a bad situation when it comes to who he's throwing it to. Even a healthy Gronk is no Jerry Rice.

I'm obviously an uber-Patriots fan but it's hard for me to place Tom Brady in front of Joe Montana. Like Konshentz mentioned, Brady might have Gronk but Montana had Rice and Clark and that's two of the most clutch players in Super Bowl history. I'm not afraid to place Brady right behind Montana though.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
There's actually a book about this subject it's a few years old now but it's entitled "Tom Brady vs the NFL". The book compares him not only to his peers of today, but some of the newer QB's and then to the greats of past era's like Graham, Starr, Tarkenton, Staubach, etc. It's a good, easy read and well put together.

One thing about Brady over Montana is that he's been able to stay healthy, the only true injury he's had was the ACL in 2008. He had played every game in every season except three, the ACL year, his first season when he sat and his second year he started 14 games after Bledsoe's injury. In 15 seasons he is 160-47,in postseason he is 21-8 with 2 one and done's. 6 Super Bowls, 4 Rings, 3 Super Bowl MVP's, 2 NFL MVP's.

TD:INT 392:143
Rating 95.9
Comp % 63.5

Montana always had back issues that limited him and didn't play a full 16 game season in his last 10 years. He had seasons with games played of 9, 8, 14 (3x), 13, 0, 1, 11. He was 114-47 in 15 seasons. He was 16-7 with 4 one and done's. 4 Super Bowls, 4 Rings, 3 Super Bowl MVP's, 2 NFL MVP's.

TD:INT 273:139
Rating 92.3
Comp % 63.2

It really is a coin flip and I loved both guys they are possibly the two most clutch QB's ever but I'm going to go with Brady by the width of a super model wife and I will tell you why.

1. Durablity, Brady has 46 more wins and the exact same amount of loses.
2. More passing in this era and he has 120 more TD's but only 4 more INT's than Montana.
3. More overall playoff success, more playoff seasons.
4. Brady has 3 game winning drives in Super Bowls. Montana has one. A game winning drive is an offensive scoring drive in the 4th quarter or overtime that puts your team ahead for the final time. Montana Super Bowl XXIII TD pass to John Taylor. Brady Super Bowl XXXVI led them to Vinatieri FG, Brady in XXXVIII led them to Vinatieri FG, Brady in XLIX TD pass to Julian Edelman.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
As big of a Patriots fan as I am, I'm not sure he's way above Montana but Brady is right up there with the absolute best ever. Especially in this era of free agency

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
He is great in an era where you can't touch the QB. His is great in an era where the rules favor the QB. Tom Brady is great, but isn't the greatest of all time imo. Lets not forget what happened when he got hit early in his career, and the season that he missed. If that type of physicality on a QB was still allowed, I don't think Brady is still playing today.

willge87

Registered Member
Montana might not have been the most durable of QB's, but as others have pointed out he played in an era where the QB wasn't as protected and went up against some of the greatest pass rushers such as Lawrence Taylor, the 46 defense and the Dome Patrol. His numbers aren't as inflated because of (i) the injuries and (ii) it wasn't the passing league that it is right now.

The most interesting thing about Tom Brady is that each Super Bowl he won was when his offensive weapons were not as good. When he was the weapons he never actually won although he can't be faulted for either loss to the Giants. The Patriots defense in 2001, 2003 and 2004 was excellent though. The 49ers had much more complete teams in perhaps each Super Bowl they won except for 1981. I'm sorry but I don't know if Dwight Clark is better than Ron Gronkowski for example.

It's a toss up at this point. Tom still has a few years left and may very well go over the top.