Is anarchism a religion or a belief?

W

WhiteWolf

Lately I've been thinking about this and I was just wondering what you guys think about it. The reason that I have been thinking about it is because I've a few anarchist friends and some of them view it as a reliegion and some as a belief. As for myself I'm not really all that sure yet.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
To view anarchism as a religion is to go against either the common conception of what "anarchism" or "religion" means. If we take the term "religion" roughly to mean "philosophy" then perhaps we could call anarchism a religion, but one generally only claims to have one religion, whereas it would be a bit sad if one's philosophical views were limited to a belief in the desirability of anarchy. I suppose one could hold to anarchist political views out of a belief in some divine mandate or natural right to freedom from oppresion by government and/or people of higher social chaste, and thus claim it as a religion, but that seems like an entirely misguided perspective. Lastly, I suppose that one could see the religions they're aware of as being counter to anarchist ideals, and thus call anarchism a religion since it seems to exist in opposition to such religions. Regardless, though, I wouldn't call it a religion.

Anarchy only works when people are able to self govern effectively .. anyone who needs to be governed by others .. isn't welcome in an anarchistic community in my experience .. lived in a few anarchist communities .. its much harder & demanding on the individual than regular society .. you cant tern your back & say i don't feel like joining in the effort .. you are one group focus .. if you cant join the tribal focus .. your out .. its not so much a religion as a form of government without walls or laws .. everything is honour based .. the more able you are to self govern & operate in an altruistic manner the more respected & influential you are .. age doesn't count .. all that counts is how you think & what you know how to do & teach the community ..

R

rozzlapeed

Neither. Anarchism is an ideology.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Concurrence with rozzle. Anarchism does not address the idea of the supernatural, anything regarding the existence of god, and doesn't deal with other issues of balance and humanity. It deals with political structure, economic and civil freedoms, and a set of beliefs that ensure and perfect these founding principles. A set of beliefs, or an ideology as a collectivist term.

What are you saying Kazmarov .. he is asking about anarchy not atheism .. not that you defined atheism correctly .. but thats not the topic .. point of the matter is anarchy is a political philosophy to describe any human society which exists without a state ie without laws .. its the opposite of monarchy .. ¬

Thus this thread really belongs in the Politics forum IMo .. not the Religion forum .. perhaps that would have prevented any accidental confusion between anarchy & atheism ..

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
What are you saying Kazmarov .. he is asking about anarchy not atheism .. not that you defined atheism correctly .. but thats not the topic .. point of the matter is anarchy is a political philosophy to describe any human society which exists without a state ie without laws .. its the opposite of monarchy .. ¬

Thus this thread really belongs in the Politics forum IMo .. not the Religion forum .. perhaps that would have prevented any accidental confusion between anarchy & atheism ..
ChinUp, my guess is WhiteWolf meant to say Atheism instead of anarchy so until it's cleared up, it will remain here.

Also, Kaz was talking about Anarchism. Read his post again. I don't like the idea of anarachy simply put: I don't trust people.

I don't like the idea of anarchy simply put: I don't trust people.
What do you think trust is ? .. Do you presume that you cannot be trusted & thus presume that others are as untrustworthy as yourself ? I don't see trust like that @ all .. to me everyone can the trusted to keep to their own personal code .. no matter how depraved or honorable that code may be, I can trust people to stick to their habits .. thus I choose what to trust who with .. one person can be trusted with valuables while another cant .. & conversely the one who cant be trusted with valuables can be trusted to in other ways .. I've known some people who are solid in regards to being responsible with money & material things, but cant be trusted @ all with fragile hearts .. & others who cant handle money or material things to save their lives, but a baby in their arms is in the presence of sombody who would fight off a pack of wolves with their bear hands to keep that child safe ..

trust is different from person to person in my experience .. :yes: