• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Iraqi Death Toll

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Does anyone else realize that the Iraqi death toll has topped one million? I don't know if that number is inflated, but damn, that's a lot of people.

Is there anyone that honestly feels we should be in Iraq right now? Afghanistan? Any country that isn't the United States of America? Stop wasting your money, America, spend it on the kids. Make our kids smart, get rid of NCLB, and do some damn good for once.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
At some point it becomes a "Vietnam" argument. There seem to be an infinite supply of insurgents. Each time they are killed, more rise to the challenge. They are definitely causing trouble over there though. If you've seen videos of some of the stuff that goes on over in Iraq the place is pretty much a mess, plain and simple. It's not related to WOMD's though, it's more related to the fact that the culture over there is very very different from ours. They have their rules and customs and in many cases these are way different than what we consider right.

For example, if a girl is being raped over there, and she kills her attacker, she can be tried and executed for murder. If she allows herself to be raped she can be tried and executed for adultery. There is no doubt about it, things are screwed up there. That's just one example. If somebody marries a Non-Muslim or converts to any other religion, they can be executed under Muslim law.

Fixing the culture is what needs to be done. However, that won't happen. I really don't know what a good solution would be. Do we need to be there? I don't know. Maybe we are helping, but, then again what would be going on if we left? The same people we are fighting would gain power and eventually take over the place again.

It's kind of like putting out a huge fire with a small hose. You can do some good but if you back out everything you put out will eventually burn again. It's a constant process and who knows if it's worth it.

I really can't say for sure.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I haven't been a huge fan of the war or some of the policies of President Bush. But, I caught his speech last week about the war and it really changed my mind about some things.

Bush read newspapers from the early 70's about Vietnam and how getting out would be best for the people and how they want us to leave and we had no business, etc. The exact same things people are saying now. The death toll in Vietnam didn't start until after we left. Pol-Pot killed millions. There is a real parallel between Iraq and Vietnam. We cannot make the same mistake again.

He then talked about the new strategy and how we were capturing or killing 1500 insurgents per month. That's good. It's hard to recruit when so many of your men are getting shot down on the battle. That many are being killed because of cooperation from the people there. that is major.

He also talked about towns that used to demand we leave are now on our sides and how in towns like Ramadi there aren't even gun shots. Towns that used to have 3-4 suicide bombers per day.

There's no reason why that nation can't be as prosperous and as peaceful as Dubia or Kuwait. On 9/11, we all wanted to drop the biggest bomb we had on the middle east. We may have done that. The Democracy bomb will shake that region and change the world in a way the nuclear bomb never could have.

You give people property and prosperity and everything will change.

Link_Q

Registered Member
those are the god damn supporter of Saddam who kills whoever they see ,,, do you know why ?
because the are killing every one ,,, US army Iraqi police ,,, even the citizens !
they are with no religion !!!!
they are just followers of Zarqaui's & Bin Ladin's thoughts " kill whoever don't share you the same thoughts and religion " this is sick !!! ,,,

if your country is worried about its soldiers it should just leave ,,, because it will suffer for nothing " unless the oil what it wants ! " ,,, someone bomb and thin came another without ending ,,,

believe me it's not about religion ,,, it's about the retarded minds ><

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Link,

You are from around there? What country? I would be interested on your thoughts on a variety of middle-eastern topics.

Link_Q

Registered Member
I'm from Saudi Arabia ,,,
see this picture here

thanx Spence :)

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Well, people do't realize that the soldier death tolls are not all that high. In World War 2 (may have been WW1 not entierly sure) the British lost 20,000 soldiers in one day. We've lost what around 3,500 in like 3 years?

Also, I agree with Spence, that there is no reason it can't end up being a ssafe country. Basically it comes down to this. This war can be won on the battlefront, the question is wether or not it can be won in US Congress.

There is also the point that our media is dominated by the liberals, yes that is a fact. This means that our people are only hearing one side of the story. The other, the side that proves that we are and can win, is largely left ont eh side.

My question is waht do the soldiers think. They are there actually doing something unlike us sitting here on our lazy butts. You have to ask them if they are winning or not.

But, to say it again, the major battle right now that will decide the outcome of this entire war is the debate in our Congress.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There is also the point that our media is dominated by the liberals, yes that is a fact. This means that our people are only hearing one side of the story. The other, the side that proves that we are and can win, is largely left ont eh side.
Are you serious? Have you ever watched Fox News Channel?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Are you serious? Have you ever watched Fox News Channel?
Congratulations on naming the only major channel that is not dominated by liberals. It's nice to see how fast you were able to pick basically the only one that exists, out. Why don't you try to pick out some more. CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS......all more liberal than conservative.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
At least you have an option if you enjoy watching biased conservative bullshit. I find it funny that anyone would complain about this though instead of complaining about the fact that all media are biased when they should really be completely objective. You should hear political radio shows. They're even more ridiculous.