• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Iraq War hoax

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Here are a couple of documentaries narrated by Rachel Maddow that look into the reasons for the Iraq War.

The first one exposes some of the lies, flawed intelligence, and fabricated evidence used by the Bush administration to make its case for the war. WMD's, ties to al Qaeda, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5FaMbnINwc

The second one is why. And the obvious answer to that is oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbey4hPlrX0

I've posted this quote before, but it's worth posting again (a lot of what Ron Paul says is worth posting)...

"What if the American people woke up and understood that the official reasons for going to war are almost always based on lies and promoted by war propaganda in order to serve special interests?"

Anyway, watch and discuss!

dDave

V.I.P.
Didn't they just discover that ISIS took over one of Saddam's chemical weapon facilities? In other words, yes there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. I don't think the weapons were useable but you'd better believe that under Saddam that they'd have gotten there.

I haven't watched the documentary yet.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I haven't heard anything about that. Do you have a link to an article I could read or something?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It's all over the news... but not the mainstream news so I dont know what to trust. Maybe they seized chemical weapons or maybe they didnt. Theres nobody there from the mainstream news to find out.

That war in Iraq was obviously all about oil and I dont get why they didnt just say it was. Nobody cared that people were being mutilated and killed in Saudi Arabia so why would they care about it in Iraq. WMDs would be the only reason to use if they cant tell the truth but the UN still didnt approve the war and they didnt find any WMDs.

Since it was an illegal war that violated International laws then it was an act of aggression. But hey what does the UN know? They didnt support the bombing of Yugoslavia but they refused to condemn it lol.
So maybe the UN and the International laws are just a joke. They dont really know whats legal and they dont really care.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Didn't they just discover that ISIS took over one of Saddam's chemical weapon facilities? In other words, yes there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. I don't think the weapons were useable but you'd better believe that under Saddam that they'd have gotten there.

I haven't watched the documentary yet.
I've seen that, allegedly it was used to store sarin gas. It has been reported by the mainstream news yet, not that I trust the mainstream news, but I don't exactly trust the sources that reported this find either.

I'll probably watch the video at some point, but honestly I automatically discount anything Maddow is involved in.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I can't watch the videos right now but yea the war was based on lies. Bush, for reasons only known to him, and Cheney was determined to start that war. I'm not sure it was for oil because they were selling us their oil.

Human rights violations can't be the reason or we would have entered Saudi Arabia or North Korea a long time ago or a host of other countries. There are some in South America that are just as bad. So why Iraq?

WMD, there was none, Cheney and Bush knew that. Yet they kept claiming that up until they couldn't anymore.

I have wondered if it had something to do with the fact that Iran was in between Iraq and Afghanistan. Were they planning on attacking Iran in the beginning but somewhere along the line changed their minds?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I don't see how the war was about oil if they were already selling us oil...not to mention most of the cronies in government are invested in domestic drilling anyway, thus, even if they thought the oil might dry up in the ME for political reasons, they would have profited. We also didn't clear the way for American companies to go into the ME and take over a lot of the oil. If it was the motive, why wouldn't they have followed up on it, and hard, making sure the oil went to us and not other countries?

It depends on what we are defining as WMDs. Yes, Saddam had chemical weapons (and unfortunately used them), and they seem to now be in the hands of terrorists, which is obviously a problem. Did he have a mobile centrifuge program to enrich uranium? Maybe. We know he had the uranium at least. We'll probably never know for sure what he had.

Maj, Maddow mentions in the second video that Saddam used chemical weapons.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I can't watch the videos right now but yea the war was based on lies. Bush, for reasons only known to him, and Cheney was determined to start that war. I'm not sure it was for oil because they were selling us their oil.

Human rights violations can't be the reason or we would have entered Saudi Arabia or North Korea a long time ago or a host of other countries. There are some in South America that are just as bad. So why Iraq?

WMD, there was none, Cheney and Bush knew that. Yet they kept claiming that up until they couldn't anymore.

I have wondered if it had something to do with the fact that Iran was in between Iraq and Afghanistan. Were they planning on attacking Iran in the beginning but somewhere along the line changed their minds?
Do you have any proof of this? Do you have any proof there were no WMD's and they were completely lying? Do you have any proof they KNEW this and yet went in? Because all the intelligence at the time, including when Clinton bombed Iraq in December 1998 says otherwise. I would love to see your proof since you seem so adament about it.

I also don't understand the "other people are doing it too" argument. By that logic police departments shouldn't investigate murders because the murder of Nicole Brown Simpson was never solved, so why investigate other murders if that murderer was never brought to justice? I shouldn't help the poor illegal immigrants staying here in McAllen because there are other poor people and I can't possibly help them all. That reasoning makes no sense to me.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Do you have any proof of this? Do you have any proof there were no WMD's and they were completely lying? Do you have any proof they KNEW this and yet went in? Because all the intelligence at the time, including when Clinton bombed Iraq in December 1998 says otherwise. I would love to see your proof since you seem so adament about it.

I also don't understand the "other people are doing it too" argument. By that logic police departments shouldn't investigate murders because the murder of Nicole Brown Simpson was never solved, so why investigate other murders if that murderer was never brought to justice? I shouldn't help the poor illegal immigrants staying here in McAllen because there are other poor people and I can't possibly help them all. That reasoning makes no sense to me.
I could ask you the same thing, where is your proof they did have WMD. If you can show me that maybe I will change my mind.

I'm just trying to understand why Iraq when there are so many other countries just as bad or worse. Maybe you have information I don't and would share that with us instead of this argument you are making which doesn't help.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I could ask you the same thing, where is your proof they did have WMD. If you can show me that maybe I will change my mind.

I'm just trying to understand why Iraq when there are so many other countries just as bad or worse. Maybe you have information I don't and would share that with us instead of this argument you are making which doesn't help.
No you can't because I'm not making any definitive claims. I've never been to Iraq. I'm not privy to what the intelligence said in its entirety. I don't know whether Saddam had WMD's at the time or not. I know he HAD them prior to us going in, but I don't know what he still possessed or how much of a threat he posed. I'm not making ANY argument either way so no, you couldn't ask me the same question. I don't know whether Bush/Cheney lied or not. I have my suspicions, but suspicions aren't definitive.

Last edited: