Iranian Election Fraud & Protests

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have you guys been following this?

There are a lot of Iranians who suspect that the election results were faked and that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was not "re-elected" by the rules. It's getting pretty bad and the Ahmadinejad run government has now fired on protesters in the streets of Tehran.

Gunfire Erupts at Iranian Pro-Reform Protests, At Least 1 Killed - Iran | Map | News - FOXNews.com

This is a load of crap if you ask me. Mir Hossein Mousavi was "defeated" on Friday. From what I've heard, this guy was extremely popular and would have been a much better leader for the country. Judging from the amount of protesters in Tehran, something shady does seem to have gone on with the election results. Tens of thousands of people are protesting now, while Ahmadinejad is celebrating an 80 some % victory.

"We want our president, not the one who was forced on us," said 28-year-old Sara, who gave only her first name because of fears of reprisals from authorities.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Yeah, I don't think you usually get wide-spread protests if the election yields an 80% margin over all the other candidates --> Where are Ahmadinejad's counter-protesters?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well apparently there aren't very many Ahmadinejad supporters. They all just vote and then keep to themselves. You'd think they'd be celebrating at such a huge victory but apparently they either don't exist or they like to keep a low profile...

Like I said though, I'm calling BS. Something needs to be done here. It looks like Ahmadinejad cheated to win and it's not fair to the people of Iran.

If he didn't cheat then there's no problem. It just doesn't look like that's the case though..

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Well apparently there aren't very many Ahmadinejad supporters. They all just vote and then keep to themselves. You'd think they'd be celebrating at such a huge victory but apparently they either don't exist or they like to keep a low profile...

Like I said though, I'm calling BS. Something needs to be done here. It looks like Ahmadinejad cheated to win and it's not fair to the people of Iran.

If he didn't cheat then there's no problem. It just doesn't look like that's the case though..
I wouldn't have been surprised if they said he won by a 50% - 60% margin, because he was the favorite to win... But an 80% landslide?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sen. Joseph Lieberman, the Connecticut independent, said Sunday that the Iranian rulers had stolen the election and made a mockery of democracy. He urged Obama to "protest" and to speak out in defence of silenced Iranian demonstrators, but he offered no concrete steps to strengthen the U.S. case. Biden made clear that the administration, while uncertain of the implications of the announced electoral victory of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad over his reformist opponent, Mir Hossein Mousavi, has no intention of abandoning its Iran policy. Obama has put Iran at the centre of his policy of extending an open hand to adversaries; the Iranians so far have responded mainly with silence. The administration is trying to understand whether Friday's vote accurately reflected Iranians' response to Obama's effort to end the nearly 30-year diplomatic estrangement from the Islamic Republic, Biden said during an interview on NBC television's Meet the Press. "That's the question," Biden said, adding: "Is this the result of the Iranian people's wishes? The hope is that the Iranian people, all their votes have been counted, they've been counted fairly. But look, we just don't know enough" since the voting. While Ahmadinejad insisted the results showing his landslide victory were fair and legitimate, Biden simply said, "You know I have doubts." For the time being, Biden said, the U.S. accepts the election's announced outcome, although questions about its legitimacy were raised by many other governments.
Well it does look like the U.S are going to try and see if he cheated or not. I've been reading a lot of different articles about this today actually, and personally I believe he did cheat. There's no way he could win by that much.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, that's what makes me think there was some foul play. Personally I think foul play like that should disqualify Ahmadinejad from winning, if he did in fact cheat.

This reminds me of when Saddam Hussein kept winning election after election with high 90% landslide victories. You know there had to have been more to that story too.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I dont think he did cheat. My logic follows that to cheat would suggest he needed to, so if he needed to, would it possible to do so on such a blatant landslide. I dont think you can tilt the scales that far over in what is supposed to be a democratic country. If you are put into a position where you have to cheat to remain in power you would do it subtly, maybe give yourself the 10% swing that require the win, to go and give yourself a 2/3rds majority by cheating would be very foolish.

Iran is a very conservative and proud nation. Ahmadinejad fits the bill well, he is a tough negotiator and takes no messing from anybody, he has even slightly shunned the religious zealots in charge. He will go to the international table and not give in to external affairs, he may not be our choice but I think he has all the hallmarks of an Iranian choice and they want him to remain in power as the elections have proved, so "no" I dont think the elections were fixed. It think he was just the right guy for Iran on the day.

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I dont think he did cheat. My logic follows that to cheat would suggest he needed to, so if he needed to, would it possible to do so on such a blatant landslide. I dont think you can tilt the scales that far over in what is supposed to be a democratic country. If you are put into a position where you have to cheat to remain in power you would do it subtly, maybe give yourself the 10% swing that require the win, to go and give yourself a 2/3rds majority by cheating would be very foolish.
You said yourself that if he was going to cheat then he would do it in a subtle way. Maybe he thought this through and that's why he rigged the landslide instead. Less suspicion then, right? Just a theory. You can't rule out cheating based on the landslide though.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Yeah, I dunno --> I think I recall reading somewhere that Tehran is where all the reformists live.

Assuming it's legitimate, maybe the 80% comes from the people living outside of Tehran?