Iran stops death by stoning.

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Doc, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iranians suspend death by stoning

I guess it's time for even Iran to jump into modern ages. Opinions?

2. Duke1985

Duke1985 EatsApplePieShitsFreedom

About time. I think we all wind up having to advance sooner or later, besides stoning people wasn't working out so hot for they're PR department.

This is a step in the right direction.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

That's so weird to me to see 8 women and ONE man. Not only the number aspect, but WOMEN on Iran's "Death Row". Very strange for me to see that. Ugh, that's for another topic, though. Back to the topic...

Yes, get with the modern ages. A death (even those I disagree) where it's the least painful. If they can't afford what we have, then the firing squad works well.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

It's a start in the right direction.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Actually by "getting with the times" it's interesting that you mention the 8 woman sentenced to be executed. It would not surprise me AT ALL if all 8 of those women were simply guilty of premarital sex (or being raped), prostitution, or marrying a non Muslim. Women are treated horribly in third world countries and are executed for things we wouldn't even think twice about taking for granted.

It's good to hear they are stopping stoning, at least for now. Stoning is an extremely barbaric and painful way to be killed. You won't often die until a large stone or cement block is dropped on the victims head. They tend to only do this after the "ceremony" has gone on long enough. And there are usually large crowds surrounding the person. All sorts of people show up to watch including small children who are allowed to help throw stones.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Well Iran is not stopping death penalty, when they do I'll really think they have moved on to less barbaric ages. This is just about lifting the punishment for adultery cases (punishable by stoning to death).

And that is why there are more women on that list, vilky.

7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

They also recently passed a law that states converting to Christianity is now punished by death.

I think they're just more into hanging rather than stoning becuase when you hang somebody, you can leave him in suspended from a crane in the middle of the city for several days. Sends a much more dramatic message.

8. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

And why do you think that is?

Sanctions and "international pressure" didn't bring about the end of death by stoning. And if conversion to Christianity is indeed punishable by death, that's only so because Mahmoud Ahmadinejad needs to keep up the revolutionary fear of the west going in order to stay in office.

9. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Because that's the religious beliefs of the people in power.

10. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Who are losing that power to a younger, more secular generation, thus forcing them to make laws like this and drum up fear of the west in order to keep the reigns of said power.