Ipods?

S

Stay Away

If you're going to be in New York soon, you may want to think twice about crossing the street wearing an iPod. That's because legislation is being introduced that would make being distracted by an electronic device while crossing the street illegal. Violators would be subject to a $100 fine.
New York State Senator Carl Kruger is spearheading the effort after at least three pedestrians were struck and killed in his Brooklyn distict because they weren't paying attention while crossing the street. In all cases, some type of electronic device was to blame. He claims that the government is tasked with protecting its citizens, and the distractions are increasingly becoming a matter of public safety.
Well, its finally safe to walk the streets in New York City. Just don't bring your ipods. Let's not pay attention to things that matter. Rape, murder, theft, arson, poverty, city mantience, organized crime, or terrorism. Those are topics for cities where that actually occurs.

Just another example that the government should have as little power over people as possible, or else they start ignoring what matters and start wasting money legislating stupis sh*t.

As for people who die crossing the streets because they don't pay attention? Proof of natural selection. Ipods to blame for people being hit? Uh uh. Being a dumbass is to blame.

Icyblackflame

Registered Member
Well, its finally safe to walk the streets in New York City. Just don't bring your ipods. Let's not pay attention to things that matter. Rape, murder, theft, arson, poverty, city mantience, organized crime, or terrorism. Those are topics for cities where that actually occurs.

Just another example that the government should have as little power over people as possible, or else they start ignoring what matters and start wasting money legislating stupis sh*t.

As for people who die crossing the streets because they don't pay attention? Proof of natural selection. Ipods to blame for people being hit? Uh uh. Being a dumbass is to blame.
I just watched this on the news a while ago. Hey..it's not too bad. Not too many deaths have occured from this, or...they don't necessarily take record of who was wearing headphones according to the news,so...I donno. But this is helping to keep people safer.

I don't think that it's such a bad rule. It's not like it's gonna kill someone to stop listening to their music while they're crossing the street.
-Icy

S

Stay Away

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/25/health/webmd/main796088.shtml

Loud rock music contributed to hearing loss among baby boomers, but MP3 players are poised to make the problem much worse for the next generation.

These devices, which pump music through headphones directly into the ear canal, enable the user to overcome the rumble of the subway or the drone of an airplane engine without drawing angry shouts of "turn it down!"

As a result, they easily desensitize the user to dangerously high sound levels. A CD player and a Walkman do too, but MP3 players such as the iPod pose an additional danger.

Because they hold thousands of songs and can play for hours without recharging, users tend to listen continuously for hours at a time. They don't even have to stop to change a CD or a tape.
Hell MP3s and Ipods, CD players, and amps in general can cause hearing loss. Maybe we should ban all forms of loud music, in the name of safety, of course.

Certainly it wouldn't kill people to stop listening to music alltogether.

Icyblackflame

Registered Member
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/25/health/webmd/main796088.shtml

Hell MP3s and Ipods, CD players, and amps in general can cause hearing loss. Maybe we should ban all forms of loud music, in the name of safety, of course.

Certainly it wouldn't kill people to stop listening to music alltogether.
I'm afraid that I'd have to shoot the government if they put a band on music and headphones in general. I'm just too addicted to having music so loud I can't even understand the words.

Hey. It comes with the generation. XD

But I agree. It's crazy that headphones are louder than rock concerts, isn't it?
-Icy

OMFG! I have It's Not Over by Chris Daughtry stuck in my head! Well, time to go blast his song in my ear!

I

indieinmich

I love it when the government feels the need to save us from our selves.
NYC has really been banging this sort off sh*t out.
Smoking,trans fat,now Ipods!
I may never step foot in that city.

Icyblackflame

Registered Member
I love it when the government feels the need to save us from our selves.
NYC has really been banging this sort off sh*t out.
Smoking,trans fat,now Ipods!
I may never step foot in that city.
New York may be the only state that can almost garentee people that don't smell like socks, skinny people, AND people who don't have (as bad) hearing problems! Why can't we all be like New York?

We all know what's next, right? NO CHEWING BUBBLE GUM WHILE DRIVING! The popping sound just might distract you from the lines on the street! According to Science Weekly, those ARE important!
-Icy

S

Stay Away

New York may be the only state that can almost garentee people that don't smell like socks, skinny people, AND people who don't have (as bad) hearing problems! Why can't we all be like New York?

We all know what's next, right? NO CHEWING BUBBLE GUM WHILE DRIVING! The popping sound just might distract you from the lines on the street! According to Science Weekly, those ARE important!
-Icy
Well, smoking is still legal in New York, just not in restaraunts, so people probably still smell. Trans fat, has the same health effects as saturated (the problem with trans fat was that it didn't used to be on the nutritional label). I'm not sure how turning your ipod off for 5 seconds effects your hearing that much.

Still can New York garuntee all of that. The city can't enforce laws already on the books, like drug laws. Did drug legislation keep pot out of New York? Did Texas banning gays keep all gays out of Texas?

The government needs to stop trying to rule over peoples and start making laws that actually help people directly. For example, making it illegal to lie on a nutrional label (leaving off trans fat) is a good thing. But banning a type of food all together to try to stop obesity? Probably a waste of time.

Icyblackflame

Registered Member
Well, smoking is still legal in New York, just not in restaraunts, so people probably still smell. Trans fat, has the same health effects as saturated (the problem with trans fat was that it didn't used to be on the nutritional label). I'm not sure how turning your ipod off for 5 seconds effects your hearing that much.
I was kidding ;p
Still can New York garuntee all of that. The city can't enforce laws already on the books, like drug laws. Did drug legislation keep pot out of New York? Did Texas banning gays keep all gays out of Texas?
Of course it did! Not!
The government needs to stop trying to rule over peoples and start making laws that actually help people directly. For example, making it illegal to lie on a nutrional label (leaving off trans fat) is a good thing. But banning a type of food all together to try to stop obesity? Probably a waste of time.
I like you. You have good ideas. And you're right. That would make it sooo much better. Haha. Indirect laws can be good too...but...more useful ones, ya know?

OMFG! THE SAME DAMN SONG'S BEEN STUCK IN MY HEAD ALL FUCKING DAY!
-Icy

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
They are going to ban Ipods in Australia, while crossing the road and waiting for buses, trains and trams because the people aren't carefull and dont hear the "chug" sound by the bus/tram