• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

iPods are "performance enchancing" for runners

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Second Lakefront Marathon winner disqualified for iPod use - JSOnline

Continuing the trend this week of "the rules are rules" theme, do you think this is a good rule to enforce? Is it honestly so terrible for someone to have an iPod while running a three hour race? I think this is flat idiotic and of all the things they could be cracking down on, iPods is what they pick? Wow.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's old fashioned and selfish for the race officials to force people to run to the tune of silence. People like to run with music. Whether it gives them an advantage or not shouldn't matter. Nobody is stopping other people from doing it either if they have a problem with it.

And for the record, there are a bunch of performance enhancers that runners use. I thought the whole point of classifying things as against the rules was to prevent people from doing things that are dangerous to themselves.

Some other commonly used performance enhancers:

1. water
2. shoes
3. sunglasses
4. short shorts
5. energy bars

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
That's ridiculous. It's just as bad, IMO, as in high school track where a buddy of mine from another school got disqualified from a race after winning because he had an earring in.

sully09

Oh wow this is sad. Anyway I disagree with the whole "Ipods make you faster" thing. They actually slowed me down by about :45 per mile, which is alot when you think about it. But what doesn't work for me may work for others, so I say live and let live

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
while running i need to listen to some music so that i won't get bored.
nonetheless, in her situation she was wrong.
rules are rules! (whether they're wrong or right).
if you don't agree, then don't participate.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That is true, she agreed to the rules when she signed up so she should have known that iPods aren't allowed.

I disagree with the rule itself, not the ruling.

As for the performance enhancing capabilities of an iPod, people claim that you could make a high energy playlist and run to the beat. Sure you could. And so could any of the people in the race. There are no health negatives either, which is the reasoning behind banning other performance enhancers such as drugs.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I disagree with the rule itself, not the ruling.
agreed, though we all know that listening to an iPod while running, makes it easier for you to run .. but that's not the aim of the race...

Race is a difficult challenge made of strict rules. if you're able to deal with it, good.
if not ...

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I much rather run with music playing then not at all. I think running without music is boring. I wouldn't say running with an ipod gives you an advantage, that's ridiculous if you ask. But I have more motivation to run with music then without.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I actually lose motivation and get tired much quicker when running without music.

I can see how it is a performance "enhancer" but it's still a bit ridiculous.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It's old fashioned and selfish for the race officials to force people to run to the tune of silence. People like to run with music. Whether it gives them an advantage or not shouldn't matter. Nobody is stopping other people from doing it either if they have a problem with it.

And for the record, there are a bunch of performance enhancers that runners use. I thought the whole point of classifying things as against the rules was to prevent people from doing things that are dangerous to themselves.

Some other commonly used performance enhancers:

1. water
2. shoes
3. sunglasses
4. short shorts
5. energy bars
Did you see the other got disqualified for accepting water bottle outside of designated stations? haha

I think they should allow iPod use. But true, if she knew it wasn't allowed and she participated, then she can't really complain. Although I see that she's complaining about being singled out because others used it too but were not penalised.