iPod Shuffle: Right Idea, Horrible Design

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mirage, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

If anybody here has the new iPod Shuffle then I apologize in advance for this thread. Hopefully you'll still be happy with yours after reading my opinion.

I was thinking about getting one of these until I did some research on them:

Apple - iPod shuffle - The first MP3 player that talks to you

Basically, the concept is great. It's small, lightweight, and can clip to clothing. It's great for running, working out, wearing around town, etc.

It's also cool because no matter where you clip it, you can still access the controls because they are built right into the earbud cord.

....oh wait.. :shifteyes:

Yeah, there are absolutely NO controls or buttons on the unit itself. If you are like me and can't stand iPhone earbuds then you pretty much can't use this device. Good luck finding third party earbuds. Apple has made it so third party developers have to license a special chip in order to place the controls in their headphones and make them work with the Shuffle.

Personally I would have preferred a slightly bigger unit with the buttons right there ON the mp3 player. I absolute hate the idea of being forced to use iPod headphones exclusively. This is a huge downside if you ask me. It's a big enough downside for me to just skip right over the Shuffle completely and look at the more expensive iPod Nano instead... Oh wait.. I see what they did there... :shake:

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This is what Apple does and it's why I won't buy from them outside of an iPod. They don't allow any customization and they rope you into their products. Granted they've gotten better in the last year or so in terms of allowing further customization.

3. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I cannot use the standard ear buds. I have small ears, and I never can get them to stay in my ears. So yeah, I wouldn't buy this either if that's the case.

In fact, after my iPod is dead, I'll probably go to a Zune or some other mp3 player.

4. Mirage

Yeah, the stupid apple earbuds fall out of my ears several times when I take them running. I really need to find some better ones but for now I'll have to live with readjusting them every few minutes.

(And no, I don't own a shuffle. I just have the ones that came with my normal iPod a while back. Any normal headphone set will work with this iPod though, luckily.)

5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

And what exactly was wrong with the 1st or 2nd generation Shuffles? I had a 1st gen, and for what it was, it worked well enough.

I'd say that I wouldn't be surprised if Apple lost sales of this device...but then I don't know exactly how many raging Apply fanboys there are.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I love ear buds (not Apple's) but I can't wear them without the fuzzy little covers that come with them.

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I like the weird foam mushroom earphones.

Because then I can block out all other sounds.

8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I have to get the kind that hook around the ear lobe to hold it in place. I always wondered if they had anything like children's ear buds and if I would be able to use those instead. lol

9. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

I feel the same way, Hybrix! When I saw the new Shuffle, I was glad I have an older model. I hate the Apple earbuds, and I think it's stupid to force you to wear their earbuds to use the device. Earbuds and earphones are such a personal choice cause everyone's ears and comfort-level are so different.

Just like Constantine said, they are trying to secure customers by forcing you to use all Apple products, but it is having the opposite effect. I never buy from iTunes cause they make the songs MP4's that will only play on an iPod. Stupid. I can't even make ringtones out of those for my phone. So I go with Amazon.

Apple is just going about things the wrong way.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  10. Mirage

Actually ever since a few months ago iTunes songs no longer have DRM on them and will work on ANY mp3 player, phone, etc, not just Apple products.