iPhone vs. iPhone

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Mirage, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Cisco and Apple both want the name iPhone for their own. They have come to a conclusion that is most likely going to confuse consumers.. at least the consumers who don't pay attention to business news.

In a recent development it was agreed that Apple can use the name iPhone for cell phone (non internet phone use), while Cisco can use it for a VOIP internet phone, but not a cell phone.

Confused? I'm not, but I expect undeducated consumers will undoubtably end up purchasing the wrong item. By uneducated I refer to the tech world.

Little Johnny wants an iPhone for Christmas. There is a good chance that most people will never even hear about the Cisco/Linksys iPhone, and will not know to disclaim their "wish list" with such info.

Little Johnny will be confused when he gets his VOIP iPhone, but at least the brand name will be there.

Cisco and Apple Reach Agreement on iPhone Trademark

2. eldore44

eldore44 New Member

i think that it is a pretty obvious difference. Maybe there will be some mix ups but not many. If someone wants an iphone cell phone i think it will be pretty obvious and will receive it, not a voip phone. But they would both be cool presents.

And also, why does Cisco want the name iphone so badly? it doesnt really make sense, does it?

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Cisco just wants to shove it in Apple's face because Cisco happened to own the trademark ahead of Apple. The name doesn't and won't help their sales at all. They could have easily thought of a better name that would have worked just as well if not better for them.