• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

iPhone Text Messages Missing After Reboot

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Has anybody else ever had this happen? I just lost a few years of text messages because of Apple’s New iOS 11. I rebooted my phone and when it came back on, every text message on the device was gone.

I then erased my phone and restored from my latest nightly iCloud backup and guess what? Nothing. Not one text message or iMessage showed up.

So I call Apple and they inform me that iCloud no longer backs up text messages and iMessages and that they are gone for good—no way to retrieve them.

Well this sucks.

Impaired

Registered Member
My wife's current problem is that the cloud refuses to not back up her photos and so she can't backup anything, because it is full of photos from 2 iPhones ago that we can't seem to get rid of.

MissMe

Registered Member
I had this happen also. All of my message are gone however they are still showing up in the storage count. It shows that my text messages are taking up almost 1 GB of memory but there are no text messages on my phone at all.

Interis

Registered Member
That's really annoying for those who use text messages a lot. I don't, so it doesn't really affect me, but can't they at least inform users about that before wiping out the data on iCloud?

My wife's current problem is that the cloud refuses to not back up her photos and so she can't backup anything, because it is full of photos from 2 iPhones ago that we can't seem to get rid of.
I thought we can delete the files uploaded on iCloud from the phone or maybe iTunes to make space for the new files.