• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

iPhone has problems with Scots accents

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Source: BBC News

The iPhone 4s which launched with a flourish has hit a glitch in Scotland at least. Created in California, the phone has a much-heralded voice command technology which seems to have had a bit of trouble crossing the Atlantic. The voice recognition software has problems translating Scots accents.
To be honest I can't really criticize Apple to harshly for this, it can't be easy to create a piece of software that can recognize and know how to handle any accent in the world and I imagine this will be dealt with through voice collaboration but this is a little embarrassing for Apple all the same :lol:

Blur

iPimp
Lmfao!

God thats rich...what was that one movie where the black dude got in a car with a voice activated car phone dialer and he said all the numbers aite, but then the phone number he was calling ended in a '4' and he kept sayin 'foe'...and well it was fuckin hilarious but anyway, i dunno how in the world apple even made somethin that would recognize all the different accents/dialects we have in the US alone, the rest of the world is just unimaginable. Its funny that scotland was the only one reported, not for any reason other than its the ONLY one reported. Bwahahaha

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Lmfao!

God thats rich...what was that one movie where the black dude got in a car with a voice activated car phone dialer and he said all the numbers aite, but then the phone number he was calling ended in a '4' and he kept sayin 'foe'...and well it was fuckin hilarious but anyway, i dunno how in the world apple even made somethin that would recognize all the different accents/dialects we have in the US alone, the rest of the world is just unimaginable. Its funny that scotland was the only one reported, not for any reason other than its the ONLY one reported. Bwahahaha
As I say, this is a small issue, as you say this is the only one reported so far and I am quite sure with firmware updates and collaboration this will be rectified I just found it ammusing hence my putting it in offbeat news rather then the tech or serious news section :)

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
This should be expected with any product that gets made, it's just one of those little things that go unnoticed until some dimwit points it out.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
This should be expected with any product that gets made, it's just one of those little things that go unnoticed until some dimwit points it out.
But surely this is how things are fixed and resolved by pointing this out? That doesn't sound dimwitted to me, it sounds like a tester.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I was over at a friends place tonight, family of Welsh people. It doesn't understand Welsh accents either.