iPhone car hookup

Discussion in 'Technology' started by pro2A, Jun 24, 2010.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

We are going to Maine in a few weeks and my wife's radio in her car sucks. The CD player is broken and/or dying. I'm going to go nuts listening to the radio for 12 hours. I was considering getting a radio connector for my iPhone, but I'm not sure exactly what FM receiver thingy I need to get to connect my iPhone into the car. Basically I want to get something that I can plug my iPhone into that has an FM frequency so I can listen to my music on my iPhone.

Any ideas? Oh and I don't want to spend $200 dollars either. Something $50 or under should be fine.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

A standard plug-into-the-cigarette-lighter setup should run you 20 bucks for the super cheap and 60 bucks for the quality variety.

Does she have a tape player? Cassette adapters are far better than FM transmitters when it comes to listening to an iPod in the car.

Last but not least, does she have an auxilary jack? If so, all you would need is a 10 dollar cord.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

No and no. She has a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid... it came with a factory CD player and that is it. I looked on eBay and found a decent FM plug in docking port thing for about $24.

Apple iPhone 3GS FM radio Transmitter w Car Charger kit - eBay (item 220613064581 end time Jun-27-10 00:24:08 PDT)

It looks promising.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Really? The stock radios of 05's and up usually have auxiliary jacks, weird.

5. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

I would suggest checking into the brand/model as their performance varies greatly. You may want to pony up and get a more expensive model as the iPhone has interference issues that an iPod or mp3 player does not. I have 2 and their performance is less than spectacular but adequate.

6. gizmonympho

gizmonympho New Member

I actually just use my iPod and use a Spiderpodium from Breffo to hold it up. Works fine with me. I also use the iPod-Spiderpodium combo when I go out on my mountain bike.

7. forsale

forsale New Member

Yeah, I have seen on of the guys I work with using this. Really cool I must say.

8. gizmonympho

gizmonympho New Member

Yes, for those who do not know, a Spiderpodium is a sort of a gadget holder -- perfect for holding iPods, iPhones, digicams or any small gadgets while driving or while doing something else and you need your hands or pockets free. It has 8 bendable "legs", and you can wrap 4 of them around your gadget to hold it in place, and then wrap the rest around your car's dashboard, bike's handle or on your treadmill, your baby's stroller, or just about anywhere. You can use it as a mini tripod, too. Very handy.