iPhone 3GS for $99 without subscribing to a particular service after jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by fractal, Aug 5, 2010.

1. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

Let's not talk about iPhone 4 here. I can't seem to figure out the iPhone subscription plan. It's apparently very different in the US than in India.

My question is: Can I buy the iPhone 3GS for $99 in the US and jailbreak it so that I don't have to pay for the 2 years subscription of the carrier? (or at most pay for the month I buy it). US iPhones aren't tied with Indian carriers. Indian iPhones aren't tied to any carriers but they're much more expensive.

2. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

No, it is only $99 in the US because it is subsidized by AT&T
    ------
    Also, I recently sold my old 16G iPhone 3GS to a friend for $200. It was not jailbroken.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's a little much, I'm surprised that they actually paid that much for a used Iphone. You can get cheaper new ones, that are not jailbroken either.

4. SmilinSilhouette

Maybe, but it was in "new" condition and he's not using it as a phone but as an iPod.

5. fractal

What exactly does two year subscription mean in the US? There's nothing like that in India.

6. SmilinSilhouette

A 2 year contract for cell, data, SMS, etc. service.

7. fractal

I asked someone who lives there and you can't. You might do anything you want to that iPhone but you'll have to pay for the service.