IP Ban

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I've heard that when you ban someone's IP, all the others with that IP won't be able to enter a certain website[whether they try to log on from different computers].
if you ban anyone with my IP, i won't be able to enter this forum?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
hm. i guess i had gotten it wrong. i thought the IP had to do with more than just a personal computer. i thought it had to do with some kind of network [internet related].

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
The IP is your computers address, so yes if you were IP banned, than no one will be able to access General forum or whatever forum from your pc.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
hm. i guess i had gotten it wrong. i thought the IP had to do with more than just a personal computer. i thought it had to do with some kind of network [internet related].
The IP address is what identifies you on the Internet. Now, if you're the only person connected to the Internet, then no one has nothing to worry about.

However, if you are connected to a network, then the IP that links the network to the Internet would be the router's/modem's. Therefore, if you get IP banned while on a network, then everyone using that network will also be IP banned.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
When you say network...we're only talking 1 pc here right?

IPban means....people from that specific IP address is banned...

Anthony1975

Registered Member
People's IP changes slightly every day so some could end up with the same. However nobody shares the same Phyical IP which is what is allocated to the actual Computer.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
i know why i had confusion about IPs.
i remember once a friend of mine who was the admin of a forum, told me he didn't want to block the IP of a member since he was working from a computer in the internet center. if he blocked the IP, all the computers in that internet center wouldn't be able to enter the forum anymore.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
People's IP changes slightly every day so some could end up with the same. However nobody shares the same Phyical IP which is what is allocated to the actual Computer.
It only changes if you have a dynamic IP. If you have a static IP, then you'll generally keep that IP until the ISP decides to renew your IP address.

Though, you have got me wondering if it would be possible for a site administrator to block people by their MAC address. However, I don't think that information is broadcast, and even if it was, you'd still get the problem of banning an entire network of computers.