Invasion of Afghanistan

From the U.S. perspective which characterizes the invasion of Afghanistan?

• Total voters

Steerpike

Registered Member
Was the invasion of Afghanistan by the United States a defensive war or a war of aggression on the part of the United States?

I say Defensive only because we went there to defend ourselves by hunting a known terrorist, even though OBL was from Saudi Arabia and the others were from various countries.

shay

ofensive you have no rites to stay so called internation coalition in afnanistan. osama has left to pakistan and cia know it legions are there cause it's close to russia pakistan iran that''s all cia has an expiriens of eliminating usama and suporters.

Steerpike

Registered Member
I say Defensive only because we went there to defend ourselves by hunting a known terrorist, even though OBL was from Saudi Arabia and the others were from various countries.
CNN.com - White House warns Taliban: 'We will defeat you' - September 21, 2001

The Taliban have defied the U.S. demand, refusing to hand over bin Laden without proof or evidence that he was involved in last week's attacks on the United States.
The Taliban wanted evidence before handing someone over. How is refusing to comply with this reasonable request and instead invading not an aggressive act?

The president last night made his conditions clear and he said there would be no discussions and no negotiations.
Instead, the diplomatic process was ignored by the United States.

Steerpike

Registered Member
The Taliban weren't going to hand him over anyway for one.
Possibly, but that is irrelevant. Asking for someone to be handed over by a government without evidence is unreasonable to begin with.

If the government of another country demanded that either United States citizens or guests of the United States be handed over to them for trial and no evidence was presented when requested to justify the extradition, then should the United States government just comply with that demand?

As you have admitted that Osama Bin Laden is not an Afghan national and that some other members of his organization also were not Afghan nationals, the United States was demanding that the Afghan government hand over guests without any evidence presented as to why they should. The response of the United States was to invade.

Afghan government: "What is evidence?"
United States government (response): Invade.

Can you explain how this is not a war of aggression on the part of the United States?

Last edited:

shay

listen guys I know the menthality of afgans cause I lived there now I live in Israel. I''m shure the so called coalition will have to go out like soviets did and there will no be western like demokrasy in a close future. there is no such a thing even in a pro russian countrys like uzbekistan tajikistan kirgistan. the coalition control a small part of the land there and they are not stubborn and brave as soviets were. islamists stay in pakistan(vaziristan) and wait. coalition has no way other then go home and then islamists will come again. there is no such a thing as""to win a war in afganistan". coaltion has a war with people. of course always there are positive and negatives parts. nato has air bases in central asia and may be soon in georgia and azerbaidjan. majority wants peace. even taliban.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I think perhaps I read the OP wrong --> I voted "War of Aggression", because that is what I think it is now.

Was the invasion of Afghanistan by the United States a defensive war or a war of aggression on the part of the United States?
I think the initial "War on Terror" was justifiable as a defensive act in many ways --> There was no way to know what kind of resources the other side had, nor what was to come.

aZoeg

what about the small countries, which is 'participating' in this war.. do they count as much together as the U.S. army? or should they withdraw - would this have an influence if they did?
------
like - denmark have just lost 3 soldiers down there in this weekend.. in overall its 22 dead danish soldiers..

i dont think small countries can do any big change to this war :S.. or actually i dont know precisely how much it counts that small countries are participating?

Last edited:

Steerpike

Registered Member
i dont think small countries can do any big change to this war :S.. or actually i dont know precisely how much it counts that small countries are participating?
Where it counts vis a vis this war with the "small countries" is not militarily, but politically. The presence of non-American allied troops contributes to the idea that this war is not an American war of aggression. The United States (specifically George W. Bush) bears responsibility for the invasion of Afghanistan which had not undertaken military action against the United States or its allies prior to said invasion.
------
Did you come to the conclusion that the Invasion of Afghanistan was a defensive act or an act of aggression on the part of the United States?

Last edited: