• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Intuitive Faith

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Imagine you suffer a blow to the head and it erases your memory of religion... All religion... Including yours. What do you intuitively feel about God? What do you instinctively assume about his nature? What 'feels' right? (No quoting scripture... You've forgotten all scripture and everything you've ever been told about God :D)

In the absence of religious doctrine, please explain why you feel what you do about God.

- Cham

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well if I had a blow to the head that erased all my memory I doubt I would remember anything about religion and I wouldn't have any feelings about it one way or the other.

dDave

V.I.P.
I think that deep down everyone knows that God exists.

But Dave, I've thought this through rationally and come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as God.

That's fine, you're allowed to decide not to believe in God. I still believe that deep down at the very center of who we are there is God.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Imagine you suffer a blow to the head and it erases your memory of religion...
It's ironic that your scenario involves a blow to the head considering that studies have shown that damage to the right parietal lobe is likely to cause an increase in spirituality.

It's an interesting question though.

I am inclined to believe that most people would feel some sense of spirituality since it's programmed in our brains. To what extent, I don't know. But I think it's safe to say that you wouldn't naturally re-adopt your previous religion. You could very easily adopt a different religion depending on outside influences.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you lost all of your memory seems like to me you would have to be reintroduced to it and learn it all over again like you would anything else.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The problem is my faith is based in large part on my life's experiences. If I forgot about those experiences it would be difficult for me to have the same faith as I do now.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I think I may have failed to explain the desired POV. Consider your memories somehow get edited in such a way the only religious doctrine and teachings are removed, and then you are immediately asked about God. If you think he exists, and if so, based on all OTHER life experiences and memories, and just plain gut feelings, what you think God is like and why you think so. My life has provided me a great deal to go on apart from anything sourced from religious scripture or tradition. I reckon the same is true for other people.

- Cham

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If I could remember everything but religious teachings I would say God is an alien or group of. That the human race is a product of genetic engineering. They were so much more advanced than us things they did seemed like miracles so we saw them as Gods.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
If I only forgot everything I knew about religion, but still remembered my family, I would imagine I would just adopt their beliefs again. Since they are the ones I trust most and look to for support, I would imagine that it would be a no brainer to adopt their religious beliefs again.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
If I could remember everything but religious teachings I would say God is an alien or group of. That the human race is a product of genetic engineering. They were so much more advanced than us things they did seemed like miracles so we saw them as Gods.

Who/what created the aliens?

- Cham

I find it interesting how truly alien the concept of intuitive faith seems to be, judging from how difficult it is to explain it. My first serious contemplations of God were not inspired by religious teachings or writings, but by observations in nature of what I could only conceive of as a product of grand design. The sophistication and precision of DNA, the inner workings of atoms, and the grand astronomical landscape we live in, none of it seemed like it could ever be a product of random chance. The very concept of randomness was alien to me from a young age, and when coupled with what I saw from the world of science, the idea of a creator appeared to be the only reasonable explanation. My religious beliefs are layered on top of this fundamental belief in a creator, not the other way around.

My life experiences lead me to think that each person is chosen to be who and what they are and that we can choose to take any path we wish within that framework, but in the end we will inevitably choose to fulfill the role we were created for. The perception that we can do otherwise is just a necessary ingredient in that process, without which we would simply choose not to choose and become a slave to circumstance rather than a participant, which some people are created to be, so even that choice doesn't make one exempt from the grand design. The mystery of life though, and the challenges we are faced with along the way provide the drive and the strength (respectively) to evolve into the specific thread in the tapestry of life that we were always meant to become.

Since these beliefs are rooted in science, nature, and life experiences, rather than religion, losing my knowledge of religion would not change my perspective on the fundamental nature of God; That being of a perfect, all powerful being that possesses only the best qualities of humanity, but to a level beyond what humans are capable of. Only an all knowing and all powerful being could do what I have seen done in the universe that I have come to learn so much about? And what but the purest of most noble of intentions could motivate such an act as the creation of the universe and of beings capable of knowing those most wonderful of traits and emotions? God loves me, not because the Bible tells me so, but because he's shown me in more ways than I can describe.

- Chameleon

Last edited: