• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Wii Introducing the Nintendo "Wii U" (new console)

dDave

V.I.P.
Well we can't say we didn't see this one coming.

Hands On: With Wii U’s Touchscreen Controller, Nintendo Could Radically Change Games | GameLife | Wired.com

As I read about it I couldn't help but think that it just doesn't sound all that enjoyable but then I thought back to the DS (which I still play occasionally) I'm really not sure if I will like this or not I will have to try it. It does make me happy that they are moving to 1080p and HDMI but they still promised it would be more powerful than the next Playstation and Xbox (which isn't looking likely).

I'll definitely give the Wii U a shot but I think I will be hesitant to buy one.

They haven't released much information about the console rather they really focused on the controller (as Nintendo did last time). It does look promising to beat the Wii though.

I don't think that this will match up to the Nintendo 64 either. (I've been waiting for years now. :lol:)

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
interesting interesting.

The first thing that comes to mind though for me....

This is the most unforgiving Console for controller abusers. :hah: Lets see ya throw that one across the room.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Someone on my Twitter feed called it the Nintendo iPad :lol: They have interesting idea though so i wonder how Sony and Microsoft will compete with that.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Someone on my Twitter feed called it the Nintendo iPad :lol: They have interesting idea though so i wonder how Sony and Microsoft will compete with that.
they will. Thats without a doubt.

It may not be immediately... but they will. Just like the Motion Controls, they'll take what Nintendo does and make it better.

Besides that... Both Microsoft and Sony have stated in different articles that they arent currently doing any R&D on new consoles, where instead they are working on further expansion apparatus' like the Motion controllers.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all to see these "ipad" style controllers come to a PS3 or 360 without the need for a full on console upgrade.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Without wishing to steer this away from the Wii to much I really wish the iPod comparisons would stop, people seem to forget that Apple did not design the iPad, well not the look anyway, Microsofts Slate came first and apart from the shape this is very unlike the iPad.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.

It may not be immediately... but they will. Just like the Motion Controls, they'll take what Nintendo does and make it better.

Besides that... Both Microsoft and Sony have stated in different articles that they arent currently doing any R&D on new consoles, where instead they are working on further expansion apparatus' like the Motion controllers.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all to see these "ipad" style controllers come to a PS3 or 360 without the need for a full on console upgrade.
I know it won't be immediately, look how long it took them to bring out what they did; but i bet they shat themselves when Nintendo introduced the pad :lol:

I'm assuming there's a console upgrade for this? At least all the accessories will be compatible from the old Wii.

dDave

V.I.P.

Exactly.

If you ask me Nintendo is creating the drive for most modern video games. Sure Microsoft and Sony play a huge part but Nintendo is always (or usually) creating the next thing and revolutionizing the industry.

Nintendo had the first analog joystick, the first motion controls, the first touch screen, and now they're combining all three of those ideas into one.

I like the console upgrade idea because honestly the Wii isn't all that powerful and I'm sure all of the Wii stuff (as well as gamecube) will work with the next console.

This is just a rumor but I've heard that there will be a N64 attachment for the next Nintendo.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I always laugh at the stat that you hear about Nintendo.

With all their consoles... they are the only major developer to make an immediate profit... even in the first year.

Sony and Microsoft have to take losses for the first 2 years before the consoles start paying for all their R&D.

dDave

V.I.P.
I always laugh at the stat that you hear about Nintendo.

With all their consoles... they are the only major developer to make an immediate profit... even in the first year.

Sony and Microsoft have to take losses for the first 2 years before the consoles start paying for all their R&D.
That doesn't necessarily mean that their consoles are worse though I will say that the Wii is weak, there aren't a ton of good games, and the motion only control scheme gets old after a while.

The Wii was still a good console despite it's criticism, however many would argue that Playstation and Xbox are much better. (for reasons already stated)

Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean worse. Sony and Microsoft might have to wait for their profit but that's because their consoles have huge amounts of power in comparison to Nintendo's thus they are more expensive.