• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Intro threads

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on the introduction threads on our forum?

Are you the type of person who replies to all of them, some of them, or none at all?

If you reply to all of them, do you do it because you genuinely want to welcome and get to know the new members, or do you do it as an easy method of boosting your post count? If the person is obviously a spammer or you see they have been banned already, do you welcome them anyway (don't lie, I know some people do this)?

If you only reply to some, how do you choose which ones to reply to?

When you were a new member did you make an intro thread? Did it help make you feel more welcome?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'll reply to new members who I believe will become a part of the forums. If someone introduces themselves and they have bad grammar, or doesn't really put the effort to introduce themself then I won't reply.

I introduce people because I want to make them feel like part of the community, there's a better chance for them to stay if they feel like they're wanted around here.

Also, I like to put a smile on the regulars, which is why sometimes I give silly welcomes to newbies.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't reply to all of them and I never say welcome. I think it's just a boring reply. Obviously, everyone here is welcome unless they are spammers/trolls.

I just reply while kidding around with the newbie or I ask a question if I have any.

Impact

V.I.P.
I reply to some intro threads. Generally it's people i've seen posting about the place so I know they're going to see it. Sometimes if i'm online and a new member makes an intro thread, i'll go in a welcome them straight away. I guess I hope that if they see the place is friendly they'll stick around.

And yes, I have occasionally used the intro section to get my required posts for keeping my spree up. Sometimes there is just nothing worth replying to.

I did make an intro thread as a newbie, but it didn't really make me feel more welcome. Especially as you can tell some welcomes have been repeated to every new comer.

Dabs

Registered Member
I believe I did make an intro thread.
And I do try and "welcome" the new ones coming in, the ones that catch my eye are the ones with the catchy Hellos, such as "Howdy Y'all" or "Here's another newbie"...things to that nature.
I am less apt to pay attention to the ones that simply have a "hi".
I have never responded to a spammers intro.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
I reply to some intro threads. Generally it's people i've seen posting about the place so I know they're going to see it. Sometimes if i'm online and a new member makes an intro thread, i'll go in a welcome them straight away. I guess I hope that if they see the place is friendly they'll stick around.

And yes, I have occasionally used the intro section to get my required posts for keeping my spree up. Sometimes there is just nothing worth replying to.

This

My intro thread and the responses I got made me stay :)

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I won't lie, I've posted in intro threads just to keep my spree going. But I'm usually discriminating about posting in intro threads. I'll post in an intro thread if the title catches my eye, if it's getting a lot of replies, or if I've seen the person's posts in other areas and they seem cool.

I did make an intro thread, and I liked the welcomes I received.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
What are your thoughts on the introduction threads on our forum?
I like that we have a forum just for introductions. I haven't read all of them but I've seen interesting ones that actually help paint a pic on what kind of person is that member.

Are you the type of person who replies to all of them, some of them, or none at all?
Some of them.

If you reply to all of them, do you do it because you genuinely want to welcome and get to know the new members, or do you do it as an easy method of boosting your post count? If the person is obviously a spammer or you see they have been banned already, do you welcome them anyway (don't lie, I know some people do this)?
Haha, I've seen those too. Or welcoming the person twice because the person had duplicate intro threads.

If you only reply to some, how do you choose which ones to reply to?

I pick a familiar name, a poster that I've already seen in the forum (be it one or two posts)...if I liked what I saw.

I check out when the thread has many pages, wondering what's so interesting about that intro.

I sometimes would reply when I don't get spammer vibe from the person, unless my intention is to bring out the real spammer in that.

I could reply to well written intro threads.

When you were a new member did you make an intro thread? Did it help make you feel more welcome?
I did because I didn't know how or where to start. For a newbie, GF is overwhelming. But I also had no idea how to introduce myself (the lame title of "another newbie") speaks for how I felt when I made it. But Jeanie said I should jump in and introduce myself. It helped to have replies. It made me think I haven't wasted my time.

shelgarr

Registered Member
What are your thoughts on the introduction threads on our forum? I like them. They are a necessity on forums because it's awkward to just start posting without having at least offered a greeting. Like when you enter into a room or into a group in RL. Nice greetings.

Are you the type of person who replies to all of them, some of them, or none at all? Yes, I reply to all unless I've accidently missed one. Recently I didn't reply to one because it looked like an ad for their business.

If you reply to all of them, do you do it because you genuinely want to welcome and get to know the new members, or do you do it as an easy method of boosting your post count? Yes, it's a genuine welcome because I like tons of activity and variety of participation. However, I am not so enthusiastic about getting to "know" people. It's not apathy though....it's skeptism that the internet is an appropriate place to form relationships. I SO DON'T care about post counts!

If the person is obviously a spammer or you see they have been banned already, do you welcome them anyway (don't lie, I know some people do this)? If I have, it wasn't intentional. I can't even tell who is banned.

If you only reply to some, how do you choose which ones to reply to? I'm pretty diplomatic about who I reply to because I like acknowledge anyone that has shown the effort to introduce themselves.

When you were a new member did you make an intro thread? Did it help make you feel more welcome? Yes, I introduced myself. Yes it did make me feel welcome. I especially like those that ask for more info. But even though I like that, I don't do it. Weird huh.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I didnt make one and I next to never reply to them.

I used them back in the day when I was trying to spike my post counts per day. But other than that nah, i never used 'em. They are too full of spam, to me it feels like an overall waste of time to post in the majority of them because there are to many 1 post and gone members that go there.